Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Roman Or Greek Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 351Next Topic  
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I have a few coins which I know nothing about can anyone help by identifying a couple of them please

Edited by Orangutan
08/02/2021 3:25 pm
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2347 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Both Tetradrachms from Alexandria.
Better photos would help with Id.
Edited by Palouche
08/02/2021 4:52 pm
Learn More...
United States
23601 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Pillar of the Community
United States
4420 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think the photos are actually decent enough, especially for a first try, & more than adequate for the purpose of attribution, not that I've researched them yet on that basis. The first portrait is really quite Neanderthal looking, isn't it? I'm thinking the second one resembles Severus Alexander. I feel confident somebody here will recognize these.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
08/02/2021 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2347 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second coin I'm reading..AVTK KΛΑVΔΙΟC CEB
Claudius Gothicus...This one is close.
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pa...Default.aspx

First coin probably the same ruler although I can't make out the name clearly just going by style of portrait and possible number of letters in the legend.....
Could be this one...
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ge...Default.aspx

Maybe Lucky Cuss would like to verify?

PS..First coin looks to have BD?(bronze disease),the 2 light green spots. Maybe keep it seperated from other bronze coins and treat?
Edited by Palouche
08/03/2021 02:08 am
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your comments and information Palouche the first coin
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ge...Default.aspx
looks right to me thank you. The other one the bird looks a bit different. Re the bronze disease how would I treat that please and if it ok for me to wash coins with soapy water or should I leave them as is?

Thanks so much for your help I have a few coins that I know nothing about I sent a picture of one to a coin collector and he said its a fake because if it was real it would be rare. I guess that one will be my next post.

Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2347 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ref...Bronze disease...First see if the 2 light areas are powdery when you pick at them with a wooden cocktail stick.
If so it's BD..Pick away as much as possible and soak the coin in distilled water only...Keep soaking and cleaning with stick...It can sometimes be a long process and even when you've taken away all the green powder keep your eye on the coin to make sure it doesn't reoccur....Maybe others here have other methods?
Paul
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Paul I will do that, re other coins should I only wash them in distilled water or can I use soap.

Many Thanks

Carole
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05