Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009-D DDR FS-801 District Of Columbia!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 403Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add texas_on_a_roll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
I think I may have found the FS-801 (in a coin roll!) but would like to double-check with the group. Assuming it is, do you think I should send it to PCGS for grading? It's not the best condition so I wasn't sure if I should get it graded or not.
thanks!

Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, looks like a most excellent find.

http://www.varietyvista.com/09d%20W...0quarter.htm

As for slabbing: probably only worth doing it for sentimental reasons.
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
08/02/2021 9:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snobro110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go to PCGS's at-home grading chart (https://www.PCGS.com/photograde) and try and figure out what you think the best grade for the coin is. Once you've done that, you can find it on the PCGS Price Guide (https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...mbia/510124) and go from there.

If I were you, I would wait for a little bit for the price to go up.
Learn More...
United States
20930 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes the doubling on that letter E is pretty dramatic. Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's the one! It's very rare too. Not sure how much this would go for slabbed since they don't come up often but I would say it's your choice whether or not to do so, especially if you're going to keep it.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A truly great find! I don't even collect quarter varieties but that one is certainly one I look for and would love to have for it's overall doubled die qualities. I do look at the quarters I run across, but almost never see a DC example so seems like an almost impossible find. A rarity indeed.

PCGS has graded about 15 of these, but seems like the largest falloff in price I've ever seen. MS 62 estimated value $50 MS 66 estimated value $3000. Not backed up by actual sales, so really hard to say what it's worth. Personally, I'd put it in a PCGS holder no matter the grade.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1765 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes these are very rare. I've gone through a lot of quarters and only found a few DC. None doubled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5617 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool!
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add texas_on_a_roll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the kind comments.
I will send it in for grading to PCGS and poost an update. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54047 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wexler has several listed for this design from Philly.
http://doubleddie.com/65301.html
Also on the same link the Denver ones are also listed. Interesting note at the bottom of the page:

Quote:
The Mint has acknowledged that this doubled die was produced by a rotational misalignment of images after the hubbing press was stopped before the hubbing was completed to reset the hub and die. As such, it is a Class I doubled die as opposed to Class VIII. The Mint was able to reproduce this error during tests to see what caused it.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/03/2021 10:39 am
Learn More...
United States
104945 Posts
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add texas_on_a_roll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks!
and coop, thank you for that valuable information. I was wondering about the doubling on the piano keys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4052 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CONGRATS

SUPER Great DDR Find!!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05