Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1854 50c Liberty Seated Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 412Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7898 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$327. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2912 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53, personally more than I'd be willing to pay for it.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be an AU53. I agree with Ty, seems a little much for the coin, but this coin looks nice and original. Perfect for a type set or other album to put raw coins in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8330 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  03:10 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details possibly even EF45, I see signs of work or cleaning around the reverse, could even be some smoothing going on the obverse fields as well, too much $$$ for this one raw, I'd want to be in for no more than around $175 on this one. We are definitely way off the mark on seeing it the same.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60597 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree AU details, appears cleaned in these pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10509 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50 maybe 53. not ruling out a cleaning
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 details, cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
7898 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in. Beautiful uninterrupted luster and golden/orange toning throughout. A beauty.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2912 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stay at my AU53, unsure of a Details grade. @NS, are pictures true to the luster? Appears flat and lifeless, no offense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say AU55. To me the cleaning is very minimal. Don't see any luster though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at AU-53 details, cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2265 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late to the party here. Looking at @numismatic student's pics, I see quite a bit of original luster in the protected areas. Frankly, that's more luster than I would expect for a low AU coin. The other thing I see is the weak strike on the E/SE parts of the obverse. That's fairly typical, and the 12th and 13th stars are pancaked, with no evidence of the centrils. The reverse shows significantly more detail and far less apparent wear than I would expect for a low AU.

That's a long-winded way of saying that this may be a bit higher grade than it first appears. There is clear circulation wear, but not heavy wear. I could see this one coming in at AU-55, and I wouldn't entirely be shocked if it came in at AU-58. If there was a cleaning, it was long ago, and it looks market acceptable.

There are some really soft obverse strike mid-UNC examples of the 1854, and they eyeball as lower AUs, except for the unbroken luster. This coin clearly is circulated and has broken luster, but again, the luster is more than I would expect for an AU-50 or -53.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have guessed AU(55).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10509 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after reviewing the new photos I'm upgrading my grade to AU55. if the coin had more luster hanging around I would push that to 58. as for cleaning...i think it grades straight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au55 straight
Pillar of the Community
United States
8330 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks much, much nicer from the second set of photos, I'm at AU55 after reviewing my grade.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 412Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05