Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Roman Greek Not Sure

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 400Next Topic  
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone I am afraid the pictures of the 2 coins are not great but if anyone can identify them that would be lovely. When I remember where I put them I will take some clearer shots.

Thanks again it's really nice to find out about the coins you just wonder how many peoples hands they went through before they ended up with me.

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2339 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2nd coin Looks like Vespasian....This is close..
Vespasian AE Sestertius. Rome mint, 71 AD. IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M TR P P P COS III, laureate head right / CAES AVG F DES IMP AVG F COS DES IT S-C, Domitian on left, facing right, holding spear, facing Titus who stands left, holding spear and parazonium. RIC#143

Edited by Palouche
08/03/2021 10:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3555 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin 1 appears to be a Nuremberg counter token, ca. 16th-17th century. I can't quite read the legend with this much blur, but those counter tokens have so many variants that even if I could it might not have helped.

Coin 2, incidentally, looks like a cast fake, but I'm not sure that this isn't just the blur.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5979 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison to a known fake. Seems to match the one from Paul's post. Can't tell whether is matches the OP coin.

Edited by Bob L
08/03/2021 12:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2339 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting Bob, they certainly do look like a match.
The photo I've shown is wildwinds ref RIC#143...I wonder if Dane knows?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5979 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must not be aware if it's listed as an authentic coin. Here's another from Forum's fake reports. Note that the wear on each is in the exact same spots.

Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Gentlemen for the interesting information. The coin I have is far more worn than the ones you have posted. Where there a lot of different fakes of this coin?

Thanks

Carole
Pillar of the Community
United States
5979 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...a lot of different fakes of this coin?

I spotted the two above in a quick scan of the fake reports. There might be more reported, but I didn't look that closely. As far as how many are out there, in collections or circulation, I have no idea.
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bob

Thanks for the info I will have a look to see if I can see any fakes that resemble my coin.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3555 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's another from Forum's fake reports.
...I'm about 80% sure this is the exact coin in @Palouche's post (i.e. the supposedly-legit Wildwinds example), right up to the green spot in Vespasian's ear.

Next to the other supposedly-fake coin it does look a bit shady.
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever you are looking for a die match, check certain specific points on the coin. In this case, I looked at the top of the laureate that is just under the "V". Also, the "III" has the exact wear. Yes a die match.

Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

New images

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2339 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Carole sorry but it is a cast fake.
Paul
Learn More...
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orangutan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Paul

Thank you at least I know which is the important thing.

Kind Regards

Carole
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 400Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05