Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Over 1941 Mercury Dime (Fingers Crossed)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 459Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jimcu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think? It was in a holder that said 1940 or 1942 but it sure looks like it may be a nice find.
Please let me know if you need me to try something else picturewise

Thanks
Jim

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60836 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us a sharp close-up of the date, please.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15882 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but I really don't believe that's the 42/1 overdate .
Just a well placed hit .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimcu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last picture is the best. Something dug into the 2 and rotated the metal to the left. I suppose it's possible that it was a deliberate attempt to make a 2/1.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimcu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh well. Coin collecting is hard. This could take years lol. I'm having fun though. As long as I'm not being a pest to this obviously knowledgeable and thorough crew.
Thanks again. I'm uncrossing now.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11671 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that it has probably taken a hit.
There are two varieties of the 42/1.
This is the closest to what you have but see the notch in the 4
and how the 1 extends below the 2.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60836 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this is damage as well.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks damaged or altered to me. Either displaced metal or a bit of solder is my guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I concur that damage was done intentionally. I find it difficult to otherwise comprehend how unintended damage could occur in such a small, "strategic" area of a 1942 dime.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20377 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can tell by the 4 that it is not a 42/41.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 459Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05