Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

194 Lincoln Wheat Penny Post Mint Damage Or Not

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 315Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
390 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  9:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I could use opinions on this coin. I thought it might be mint damage but I wanted other opinions. Is it PMD?

Edited by TippyCanoe
08/03/2021 9:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say PMD, but it's hard to tell what's going on, due to shadowing on the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the reverse, I'd have to say that it is a
sandwich coin. (2 planchets). One got struck but not ejected and another one inserted and got smashed in to it.

We really have to have the weight of this item to be sure..

at the bottom, could that be a broad struck?
Edited by Dearborn
08/03/2021 9:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11573 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a Cupped Off-centre Strike.
It is not mint damage or PMD but a nice looking Mint Error.
Nice find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60597 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us the weight?
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning to all. Thanks for helping with this. Weight is 3.10 g.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This doesn't look like any major mint error. Also hard to believe this coin evenly circulated for many years if it was a mint error. I'm going to stick with PMD. Better pictures with a few different angles and lightings will help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53306 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sent Mike a note on this one. The reverse has me wondering if it is something we've not seen before? The upper right and lower left. If it were damaged with another coin, why is the strike mostly there on both sides of the coin? Maybe an out of collar/partial collar strike?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/04/2021 11:28 am
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tried to get some different lighting for you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2068 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop asked me to weigh in on this one. This cent was definitely damaged outside the Mint. The obverse trough and reverse flattening (left side) and the obverse slope, stepped flange, and design cutoff (right side) are effects that cannot occur in a coining press.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ty so much!
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious hammer job. Maybe on the end of a pipe?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53306 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike. Always nice to know for sure.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05