Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Thin Quarter Weighs 4.3 Grams, Please Help On This One.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 312Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1727 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  12:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just found a 1970 D Quarter that weighs 4.3 grams, its extra thin. It has a possible attempted cut, what confuses me is the Obverse, How did the tip of the 7 make it so far over to the left. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I think its on an Dime Planchet.

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96
08/04/2021 12:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5180 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely struck on a Dime stock, but the damage will greatly reduce the value. The Damage I am referring to is the large gash on the obverse and reverse, going through the 7 of the date and the last S of STATES. This damage caused the metal of the 7 to be shifted over to the left a little bit. Still an error find!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Edited by CoinHunter27
08/04/2021 02:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41332 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't a dime planchet (much thinner than a quarter) be lightly struck due to the height it has lying flat in the collar during a strike?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54082 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The damage to the coin makes it into a cull coin. Too bad. Why do people do that?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05