Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Intentional Error LMC Possibly.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 792Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mbeauj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im guessing this coin has been modified by someone. Just wondering how the backside looks like it was struck 3 tiimes. I have no knowledge of coin errors. Any ideas?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5704 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Can you post a picture of the obverse in the correct orientation.

Is this coin round or oblong ? can't tell from your picture.
Edited by Chase007
08/04/2021 2:41 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mbeauj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is slightly oblong. Obverse = otherside?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11579 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse= other side?

Yes, always post both sides of the coin when posting.
This can be important
Pillar of the Community
United States
3045 Posts
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6795 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mbeauj, if may I ask, where did you get this coin?

I too am looking forward to more photos!

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

United States
48 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roagan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like Picasso got ahold of it lol its a stumper imo
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a vise job. Better pictures will help.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mbeauj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was purchased in a storage auction and was in a tin with various foreign coins. My first impression was that it was maybe pressed in a stack of coins . But the tripling on it couldnt be achieved that way to my knowledge. I will post other pictures when I get home.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was a vise job. Wouldn't words be reversed?
Curious just LIBERTY is reversed.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could send more pictures.
Both sides.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60623 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse pic please, shown right-side up.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9947 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Until we get better pictures I am unsure but this one does have a chance in my opinion of being a mint error.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18951 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mbeauj:- to the CCF!
I agree with you - it appears to be a contrived post Mint 'error', but I am not 100% sure.
To receive the triple strike as seen here, an incuse punch needs to be made from another LMC. This sort of incuse punch can be made in a shed job by the explosive impact method, then applied to the coin in a hydraulic press.

A concrete crush hydraulic test rig should be able to apply enough pressure.
I am reasonably sure that a vise would not be able to exert enough pressure.

To be more certain of what we may have correctly theorized, it would be useful to post pictures of the edge at various places, and also a picture of the obverse.

Edited by sel_69l
08/04/2021 10:49 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mbeauj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the coin has had at least three contacts at some point. How about the first contact made, that created a "die" as such, on another coin, that would be reversed and in relief, would be used again, to create the "doubling" we see, when used again.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/05/2021 12:11 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 792Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05