Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 P With Odd Doubling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 378Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  7:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I am pretty sure this MD however the ear is throwing me off! Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance, Eric

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, strong MD. A very good example.
-makecents-
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree with MD too. This is a great example @eric!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5327 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Very nice Machine Doubling piece.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still . ,. . Machine Doubling is not an error and there is no added value for this coin.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still . ,. . Machine Doubling is not an error
I think there are very sharp individuals, that have devoted there life to this "hobby" that would say otherwise.

http://www.error-ref.com/multiple-m...e-direction/

After thought. Maybe you meant, variety.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/04/2021 10:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, I meant Machine Doubling and if I'm wrong that it doesn't add value for this coin, I will be glad to admit it. All my days on this forum, I see many coins dismissed as just Machine Doubling or Mechanical Doubling that people thought were doubled dies.
I have been wrong many times but this would surprise me if it is valuable.
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, I will add it to my examples pile.

Eric
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if I'm wrong that it doesn't add value for this coin, I will be glad to admit it
You very obviously did not pay attention to what I used of your quote and what I omitted.

Worth, I agree, it is not a doubled die, error, why yes it is.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why instead of Machine Doubling I call it machine damage. Then there is no mistake about error or variety.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected on it being a mint error I guess.
It is not a variety but a unique result of shifty loose dies.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3652 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I strongly disagree with calling Machine Doubling, Machine Damage, as it happened during the strike. If the minting machine damaged the coin, well then that's an error by definition. The coin is in no way damaged. And while it may be a minor and common error, there are a few folks who collect really strong MD, so not a topic to totally dismiss. Certain dates with strong MD are worth good money, or a really strong MD on an unusual date. 1957-D is probably the most valuable as there are some really nice ones on that date and mint mark that collectors look for. But for 1983, the OP's coin, I don't really see any increase in value for MD. I'd put it, as noted and agreed upon, in an slip as a good example of MD and use it as a reference coin.

Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The instant the planchet is struck, that's the strike. Anything after that such as die movement is not part of the minting process, and is damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53441 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the strike happened, then the damage happened after the strike.

If the machine had not damaged the coin, it would have been a normal coin. So I consider the term correct when used in the right context.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/05/2021 7:58 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 378Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05