Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021-P Lincoln Cent Large Struck Through Burr At Shield On Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Appears to be a Large Struck Through Burr on a portion of the Shield on Reverse? I photographed different angles of the Struck Through. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11657 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like damage. You can see some displaced metal at the edges.
A Struck Through would have smoother a edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like struck through a decent sized rim burr. There may be an unplated spot on the edge of the coin.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JimmyD and Willburton for looking. Very much a[ppreciated. The appearance of an un-plated spot on the edge of the coin is my bright lighting and made it appear to be un-plated at the edge of the coin. The Lincoln Shield coins reflect too much sometimes while taking the photographs.
Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the bottom of this trough wasn't plated also, then I would be leaning more toward damage. With it either completely or nearly completely still plated, I wonder if it isn't struck through. I'm interested to see what others think too.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've went back and looked at this several times because it's bothered me. The reflection of light, off of different points of the coin, is what I use much of the time to pick things apart. There is nice shadowing in the area I've circled, which shows a depression in the burr, right at the shields edge. This makes me want to believe it happened at the mint but who's to say the same thing could not have happened in the wild, I guess. Food for thought.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/04/2021 10:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence and makecents for reviewing. The Lincoln Shield Cent does not exhibit any type of unplated areas on the coin. The first photograph presented shows the actual color of the rim burr without the bright lighting reflection.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40888 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice rim burr. I have a couple but do not remember the dates.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1. I remember seeing a very nice rim burr of yours posted awhile back and the rim burr was on the obverse. I believe it was a 2014 Lincoln Cent Shield and Coop generated an illustration for educational purposes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40888 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05