Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Ebay Sellers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 604Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
155 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  12:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fillurboots to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking about selling some of my coins I'm just not interested in anymore (Mostly just collecting circulating (Working on my 25c graded collection and bullion atm) and I always just sold to Canada and USA only before.I see some coins that never sold I put up for sale,sell pretty good for people selling worldwide (which makes me very nervous).Is there country's I should definitely avoid or are definitely safe or others tips for selling outside North America.Txs in advance as always.

P.S. lol I know I will pretty much lose on every sale from what I paid for them dam Canadian NCLT,but I don't want to lose abunch coins completely.

P.S.S. Is it very expensive to ship overseas compared to here (I usually always did free shipping to,which might be a bad idea now).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
999 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I sell on eBay I like to do free shipping within Canada, $5.00 to $10.00 depending on weight to USA and $15 to $20.00 anywhere else in the world, never seem to have an issue.

I mostly use auctions with a face value start bid for circulation coins so my shipping prices vary depending on the coin and condition, I also have a 100% eBay seller rating.

Once you get the hang of what does and does not sell you can adjust your prices accordingly to a point where all 3 parties are happy (seller, eBay fees, buyer).

Just make sure you account for the eBay fees, when I first started I sold a $2 coin for face value not realizing these fees, ended up giving it away and paying eBay out of pocket, but the buyer was atleast happy!
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1253 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I havn't had seen much traffic on the international side, a few orders, but I think the biggest deterrent is the high cost of shipping, especially if tracking is needed, I wouldn't risk a higher value item without some kind of tracking. Overseas shipping can take a long time and it is easy for a buyer to open an item not received case if there is no tracking due to the item taking a long time, sold one coin in November, did not arrive in Europe until late January. Maybe your items will have more appeal.

Canada/US shipping is more reasonable and have rarely had any issues (knock on wood), but remember that ebay takes it's 13% on shipping as well and be warry of taxes, as they apply those automatically and take a cut. I charge for shipping at cost + packaging/handling + ebay fees. Multi item combined shipping and weight can be tricky.

For setting prices, I start around the minimum value that I want to sell it for and let people bid from there. More desirable items move quickly, common items take a longer time, but seem to sell eventually sell. I wouldn't be in rush to sell, unless you need to, you'll achieve a better value, but it can take months. so don't be discouraged if it doesn't sell in the first auction/buy it now listing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1700 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have sold maybe 500 to 1000 items into Europe and Asia. I have only had a couple of problems selling into western Europe and they related to mail delays, not failed deliveries. I am always a bit nervous when someone in Russia buys something but I have never had a loss.

I had a couple of sales of valuable Indian coins into India and they were fine. I have also sold a few Chinese and Hong Kong coins into those territories with only one small problem.

I would just make sure to send everything by air to avoid delays.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
368 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sell inexpensive coins and always send them by letter (without tracking). But for me it's always a lottery, so I only sell inexpensive coins. I also increased the order processing time to 15 days so that I have a head start on these days, this gives me a slight advantage, because after 30 days, customers start to get nervous and ask for a refund.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2586 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
over $100 sale I require tracking. that said, I also realize that the shipping costs are usually deducted by the buyer's budget (buyer's have a total "all in" budget in mind whether it's free shipping or $20 - it all comes down to what they want to pay for the coin all inclusive)

tracking is the only thing that will save you from getting burned by a fraudulent buyer (claiming no delivery). you'll get less for the coin, but be protected (but it will cost you in the long run)

claims for non-delivery doesn't happen often.

my suggestion is take actual shipping costs and double them, then use the surplus as "self insurance" for any future losses.
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2830 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I sell on eBay I like to do free shipping within Canada, $5.00 to $10.00 depending on weight to USA and $15 to $20.00 anywhere else in the world, never seem to have an issue.

You can't get tracking at these prices. And I am assuming you are using letter mail, which is fine for circulation coins but not for NCLT, which I believe the OP is asking about. For most NCLT, including the case, the thickness will be more than 20 mm and that means sending as a parcel.
Sending a parcel overseas airmail with tracking is very expensive. It could be as much a $100. For a tracked packet within Canada and to the USA you are looking at around $15 to $25.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1700 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You want to be careful about how you assemble your lots. If you are selling single coins there is no issue. But as Money Penney points out, you want to avoid going over 20mm and you want to watch the points where shipping costs jump considerably (100g, 200g, 500g). When I sell a group of coins, I will make sure that the packed weight stays below the triggers for a big bump in shipping. When I sell an RCM coin in a case, I usually quote a price with and without the case. Not many people want to pay the extra $10 or $20 of shipping to get a case. The international small packet airmail service is the only practical way to send larger items overseas.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
999 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My sales are usually a single coin each time so I use letter mail in Canada and US.

For larger things like sets with the boxes/cases I always do tracked shipping, everything I sell I can normally fit in a Canada Post drop box that has the 20mm slot.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05