Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Should I Do With This 1968 S (Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 384Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would make a nice hole filler until something better comes along.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What error or variety are you seeing?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5379 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking hole filler--given the photos posted.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought maybe the double die but not really sure John I have more pics I just posted that real quick I've been up all night fixing a vehicle
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot one of the pics and I agree it's got good color but a lot of damage whole filler

Pillar of the Community
United States
711 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like RPM-001 to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think so.
John1
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree John. I believe it's a 1mm-002
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What ref site? I am not seeing a RPM at all.
John1
Edited by John1
08/05/2021 6:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a normal coin for that year. The devices on that years coins, all have the same thing in common:
There was an issue with a swelling master hub that year and it was replaced the following year.
1. The motto devices are pushing into the rim area. (All coins that year show this, even proof coins)
2. All the devices look larger in size.
3. The size of the head is larger than on the 1969 cents:

Because they waited until the next year to replaced the new, new master hub, (yes I used the word New twice as each year the previous years aging master hub was reused over and over until there was an issue with it, so they have to create the new master hub with a fresh master hub. So the term new, new master hub was showing that it was a replacement master hub to replace the swollen old master hub) all the design differences we all common. note on the images how the the years design changed. It was still the same design, but without the years of distortion that had accumulated from years of creating the new master hubs of the previous years. This natural distortion can be seen on the 1982 small date and large dates. I took an image of the small dates and altered it with Photoshop and was able to create the same distortion:

Image below is of the altered swollen affect as the die ages. The devices are moved and enlarged when the master hub distorts:

Note the '2'. We see the same affect on the large and small dates on this area, just like this:

Compare these date distortions from the images above?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool I mean I see stuff and it ain't there but you know if I don't know then I should ask. Thanks guys
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53567 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always glad to share our knowledge here. That is how everyone learns.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 384Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05