Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Wheat Collection From Metal Detecting!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 387Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have you or someone you know ever try to complete a set strictly from metal detecting finds?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and no.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5377 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To complete a full set would be a very, very tall order. No, I haven't heard of such an accomplishment, nor attempt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60919 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incalculable odds against.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention the fact you'd be dealing with many coins of extremely poor quality -- like this (Poor-01) 1859 Indian Head cent. (Not my find, but purchased by me as a part of a $2 lot of circulated Lincoln wheat cents and a couple of metal-detector finds.)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15891 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
extremely difficult task . Never heard of anyone attempting it .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant even find one coin with my metal detector lol .... but Ive only searched twice
and apparently not in a good area.
As Above, So Below
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog

Quote:
Incalculable odds against

I'm not so sure I agree to that discouraging analysis. I think some (young -- cause it'll take a while) collector ought to try.

I do foresee some skepticism hovering over the completed collection until a high percentage are slabbed by TPG's and CAC'ed.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kcm maybe a "short set" would be possible, such as the Lincoln shield cent, 2010 to present. I can't imagine longer or older sets (or higher denominations) would ever be possible.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kcm maybe a "short set" would be possible, such as the Lincoln shield cent, 2010 to present. I can't imagine longer or older sets (or higher denominations) would ever be possible.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...,@halfamind, if @grospoisson's idea had visited me in life earlier than my seventies. I'd have jumped at the idea. Why? "Everyone knows an ant can't fell a rubber tree plant! But he has high hopes."

In my youth my hopes were higher than my bank balance. But this would fit into my budget. I wonder when or if I'd cease my conquest and concede defeat. @grospoisson points a path to coin collecting in its purest state. I say,"GO FOR IT!"

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, I guess I should have worded that a little different. What I was trying to say was to complete a set but not necessarily finding them all yourself. I have found a lot of early wheats, 13-s 14-s 15-s 17-s among others. Anyone that metal detects can recognize a penny that has been dug up (at least in south Louisiana). I have also read a few years ago about one man who found two 09-s vdb's! in one week. If someone were ambitious I would gladly surrender my old wheats to the cause. These wheats are pretty bruised up anyway. Maybe if some young stud took on the project and posted what he is trying to accomplish other detectorists would also surrender the dates needed. They are of little value other than bragging rights. Happy hunting. Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05