Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be? I Am At A Loss As To What Exactly This Is

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 867Next Topic
Page: of 2
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you princetane, yes I am new to this but I unfortunately cannot put my idiocy in coin collecting & this prestigious forum to being a child. Thank you for all your help & patience. I have taken note
Valued Member
United Kingdom
90 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes I am new to this but I unfortunately cannot put my idiocy in coin collecting & this prestigious forum to being a child. Thank you for all your help & patience. I have taken note

As long as you learn

One good site for researching modern coins is Numista https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin

If you type what you can see on your coin into the search bar, it will give you a list of matches with photos. You can go through them looking for anything that looks like yours. The list might be long but most of the coins won't look anything like yours, so it's quick.

For example, if you enter '1862' (all you can read on your coin) you get 588 results. You could look through all of them, but on the first page there's a coin that looks much like yours (with the date at the bottom under a line). It has 'Britannia' on it, so that might be your next lead.

So, if you now enter '1862' and 'Britannia', you get just 8 results. 4 of these look very much like your coin (with a portrait on the obverse), but the sizes are listed, and only one matches - the penny.

Even if you can't find a match, you can ask a more precise question here.

I've even managed to find coins with nothing but Arabic or an Indian script on Numista - just by guessing the country and the year, and looking for coins that look a bit like mine.
Edited by JohnConduitt
08/23/2021 2:18 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 867Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05