Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1864 Indian Head One Cent - Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 735Next Topic  
Valued Member

Thailand
74 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  09:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add seap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16161 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it looks fake to me but I'm no expert on IHC's .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a cast copy from the reverse. See what others say.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upon closer inspection the 4 looks like it was modified from a 1. The corners don't intersect cleanly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is real, but a poor planchet and a poor strike. The correct reverse for the year.

The improper alloy mix primarily on the top of the obverse tells me this was not cast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62733 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck from rusted dies?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the denticles on both sides give this away as a fake.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cast my vote for fake.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1622 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to fake those improper alloy mixing streaks... a typical feature of early bronze Indian cents.
Edited by realeswatcher
10/11/2021 7:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8533 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked over this coin for several days now, before tossing in my opinion, it's a really good match on some areas of the die and a miss on others. Going through Rick Snow's attribution guide I find a couple of varieties it could possibly be, here is what Rick has to say about 1864 bronze IHCs:

Quote:
Although the copper nickel 1864 Indian cent is readily available, the quality of the pieces encountered is quite poor. Extremely attractive gems are very difficult to find. Typically, the coins show mushy details due to the Mint's economy with the dies. They were used as long as possible to avoid unnecessary expense. The striking pressure needed to strike up the hard metal put strain on the dies and they eroded quickly. A coin struck from the dies in these later stages of wear show details that are rounded from the repeated outward spread of the planchets against the die. The cartwheel luster on these pieces will sometimes be quite dramatic.

Many of the dies used to strike the copper-nickel pieces were still usable after the changeover to bronze in May. Some varieties, for example S1, are available in both metals. Many coins show apparent repunching on the last 4 in the date. There may be collector interest in this feature, but it can hardly be called a premium variety since it exists on more than half the dies encountered.

Most all the varieties found are minor repunched dates. Their proper attribution is complicated by the existence of this defective digit punch.

The 4 on this coin also appears to have repunching which falls in line with a real coin. I think it's like real, with a very worn out die on the reverse. Though it's a tough call, I'd love to see this one in hand with a very accurate set of calipers, a scale and my stereo microscope.

I'm really at 80% real 20% fake. Not conclusive either way from these photos and they are pretty good as far as photos we get to see often. I also agree with redRider on the improper mixing of alloys - NOT cast. Likely a worn out die.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
10/12/2021 8:58 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 735Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: