Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collect The Coin Not The Holder Might Not Be An Option?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 557Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
104 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some collectors do not live anywhere near a coin dealer in addition to not having access to coin shows, and they have to rely on ebay. Pictures are often very hazy thru the slab. I see two options either quit collecting or buy the holder hoping the coin is somewhat like you wanted.. The dansco album I originally stored coins sucked big time. My copper coins toned very quickly and I now have some early wheats that were gorgeous cherry red and or now red brown or worse. I figure slabs are my best protection if there is such a thing. Any thoughts or comments on this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5354 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your coins in a Dansco album toned "very quickly" (less than a year or two?) the the problem was more likely the storage situation.
You want close to a constant temperature and as dry as reasonably possible, i.e., use a desiccant.

Slabs are very good but not 100%.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If your coins in a Dansco album toned "very quickly" (less than a year or two?) the the problem was more likely the storage situation.
I agree. My oldest Dansco albums are nearing 37 years old. I have always made sure they were stored in a location with stable temperature and low humidity. I have no complaints.

Quote:
Slabs are very good but not 100%.
Agreed. They are not 100% air tight and require the same storage environment as the Dansco albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The dansco album I originally stored coins sucked big time. My copper coins toned very quickly and I now have some early wheats that were gorgeous cherry red and or now red brown or worse.

Dansco Albums DON'T tone coins. That is a storage issue.

See example:

Heck folders don't tone coins (the modern ones that is).
I've had these in here for years, they look the same as when I put them in.

Quote:
I figure slabs are my best protection if there is such a thing.

Again, storage issue, if your Dansco toned coins then if you store your slabs the same way, your "slab" will also tone coins.

Quote:
Some collectors do not live anywhere near a coin dealer in addition to not having access to coin shows, and they have to rely on ebay. Pictures are often very hazy thru the slab. I see two options either quit collecting or buy the holder hoping the coin is somewhat like you wanted

There is a little truth to this, most coin pictures on ebay, here, pretty much on the internet are bad, so sometimes you do have to take into consideration the grade of the slab. (here is a post in which the coin wasn't as graded and I did a grade review which resulted in me being good http://goccf.com/t/394916 )

There is a little secret, while the average photo on the verification sight is OK, its usually better than the eBay photo so use the verification site of the company and look at the picture there.

As an example I recently got this coin. The sellers photo was bad but it looked better on NGC, hence I purchased the slab not the coin (on eBay that is).

https://www.NGCcoin.com/certlookup/5706134-012/30/

My photo

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some collectors do not live anywhere near a coin dealer in addition to not having access to coin shows, and they have to rely on ebay.

I also don't have any dealers (other than a couple pawn shops who sell a few coins) within 150 miles of me. However, there are a large number of reputable online dealers who provide high resolution and clear, accurate photos of all their items, slabbed and raw. Not to mention the many auction houses who generally also provide highly accurate images. I've never just "bought the holder", other than for some modern commemorative and bullion issues.

And to reiterate what others have mentioned, toning of coins in a Dansco album is simply due to improper storage. Slabs are not airtight; I've seen examples of silver and copper coins in TPG holders that have progressively toned when unprotected and exposed to sulfur dioxide, a pollutant you might find if you lived near an oil refinery, for example.
Edited by hokiefan_82
08/16/2021 8:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, I basically knew storage was the issue. I guess I like from time to time to view the coins. I get the impression that most collectors simply put in safe or deposit box. What's the point of having a collection if not to show family and friends? The area of the country I live in also contributes to the toning aspect. I was hoping that slabbed coins offer a bit more protection for me. Time will tell
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a humid climate also, I also look at my albums and coins and currency a few times a week. Since I do that I store them with dessicant, I make sure my hands are clean and I use a dry towel underneath my albums, coins to protect anything I drop or mishandle. No guarantees coin won't tone but it is the closest I can get to good storage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might suggest an airtight storage container like an ammo can (if you can find one big enough for your albums) or a heavy Tupperware-type container with a tight lid. Keep freshly-charged desiccant like silica gel packets in the container with the coins. Take the coins out whenever you want to see them and keep the container closed to preserve the desiccant.

This approach will give the coins excellent environmental protection. Obviously if security is your priority a quality home safe or safe deposit box is a better choice. You should still keep desiccant inside!
Learn More...
Australia
13848 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other problem with placing too much confidence in the slab is, of course, counterfeit slabs. A shady seller can use blurry pics, or stolen pics of the real slab, and you'd have no way of knowing your slab (and the coin inside the slab) was fake until you had it in hand and compared your "coin" with the slabbing company's online pictures.

Find trusted online dealers who sell the types of coins you're interested in. Many of these dealers will also sell on eBay, so if eBay is still your preferred marketplace, you can go there and find them.

As for storage, I'd think a well-sealed 2x2 would offer just as much protection as a slab, for a fraction of the cost - and be smaller and easier to store, as well.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
781 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, the only problem with "well sealed 2x2" is the buggers have a habit of unsealing themselves and then the coin slips down into the now exposed glue. A better bet is Saflips 2x2 that have the opening heat sealed. Airtight, won't pop open and cheap enough that you can cut the flip open if you want to get the coin out and then put back in a new flip. The only possible downside is the plastic isn't as soft/flexible as the mylar so there is a risk of the coin moving around and rubbing the high points of their patina.
Another reasonable option is Eagle holders, not quite as cheap but well worth it for the top shelf coins.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSilverDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto

Very nice examples!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @oldsilverdollar
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 557Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05