Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1758 Momm 8 Reales Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would appreciate any help in verifying authenticity. It weights in at 26.83 grammes, although my scale adds about .03-.04 grammes to the weight as it's not finely calibrated. I don't have calipers at the moment so I don't know the diameter. Thanks for any advice!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1105 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real to me with the pic's provided. everything is crisp.
Composition: Silver

Fineness: 0.9170

Weight: 27.0674g

ASW: 0.798oz

Yours is a tad overweight, but as you say, your scale sometimes adds on weight.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thanks!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bayoughozt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat: I'm not an expert. However, it looks very fake to me. The crispness of the "plus" "vltr". The missing top part of the E in VTRAQUE. Something about the overall look just seems fake.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Caveat: I'm not an expert. However, it looks very fake to me. The crispness of the "plus" "vltr". The missing top part of the E in VTRAQUE. Something about the overall look just seems fake.

Got it! Thanks for your input! I was a bit worried myself about the toning-looks like the toning on a lot of fake coins, and I do see your point about the letter E.
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try a ring test(an apps named Precious coin tester is useful), I don't think it will pass.

The letters looks incorrect, too thin and not complete in most case.

The lines on the globes surface looks wrong.

The edge looks not it should be.

A fake to me.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's fake then that's interesting because that would mean that APMEX would sell fakes of these coins!!! That's where I got if from!!
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try a slide down along a neodymium 52 magnets to test its silver content.

Please also have a close look to the letters E of "VTRAAQUE" and "ET" at the back. They are not consistent.

The letters on the whole are too slim to me at the second today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use five magnet slides of different magnet sizes in N-52 and N-42 as just a part of coin testing.
The slide is not foolproof and one needs to be careful about just what can be concluded.
For example a one ounce copper and one ounce silver coin can appear to be no different. Specific gravity would be indicated in a case like that.
And as far as the power of the magnets go, it is possible to have known bad coins test no different than the good ones.
All my slides are two inches wide and made of either twelve half-inch magnets or six one-inch.
Thicknesses I use are 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1 inch.
I also use specimen coins having known compositions as reference. Generally I believe the thinner magnets work better in a number of cases than the thicker ones.
A slide test is just one of several useful items.
It is best used along with other tests such as specfic gravity for silver.
The slide can readily point to a non-genuine coin (like many from China).
But you must be careful about what you have, what you test, and what you conclude.
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1754-MO-Me...144181341730

Just for comparison, the letters look better and not as slim as your posting.
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the last picture. After looking at the letters, looks legit to me. I tested it for silver content at LCS and it checks out.
I was mostly worried about the toning, which just looks like a lot of fake coins I see online, faked toning.
Thanks for everyone's input.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: