Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Canadian Large Cents From The Okiecoiner Collection

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,896Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 1960NYGiants for the link and info. I love the P1 reverse die that you discovered with the re-punched N in CENT.

I'm running late today posting another of Okiecoiner's coins. I really like this coin. I'll let everyone try to figure this one out. The dirt is almost covering up an important marker.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1576 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would that be 124
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're close Don. Check the reverse again.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1576 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So must be 121
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 121 (39+E40). Another tough die pair to find. This one is an early die state for both the obverse and reverse dies with some nice die clogs on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one with a nicely re-punched 1 in the date, Haxby PC59-69 (Obverse 27 + Reverse E28).

Obverse.

Die crack to C of CANADA.

Reverse.

Re-punched 1.

Die crack to Leaf 14.
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haxby PC59-36. Obverse 20 + Reverse E22. This reverse often has a weak 5 from a clogged die. This is another tough die pair in nice condition!

Obverse.

Die crack at C of CANADA.

Reverse.

Weak 5 and Die cracks at leaves 6 and 8.

Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More photographs done now. Here is a Late state PC59-247 (Obverse 82 + Reverse P20). This has to be near terminal state for the P20. I've never seen one like this before. Does anyone else have one with the cracks at leaves 9-12?

Die cracks at leaves 9-12

Die crack at leaf 3.

Die crack and collapse at leaf 6.

Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice example. Mine is no where near that broken.
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next coin from Bill's collection is Haxby PC59-237 (Obverse 77a + Reverse P15c). The four die pairs associated with Obverse 77a are some of my favorites. The P15c is the third reverse and has a very nice die crack from leaf 14 to leaf 16.

The obverse also has a very recognizable die crack at the G of GRATIA. The G is actually nicely re-punched, but the die crack tends to hide the re-punching. Only very early states of 77a paired with the first reverse P15a are missing the die crack. All 4 die pairs are scarce. This one is a nice example.

Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This next one is Haxby PC59-236 (Obverse 77a + Reverse P15b). This reverse has one of the nicest re-punched 9's I think, but has not been mentioned much on this forum. This is another very scarce die pair.

This 9 reminds me a little of the one on the DP9 #2.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that there were much better examples of this Reverse in the stuff that I sent. It/they would have been in holders. Are the coins that I sent you and that you have posted here just the ones that were not in holders with writing? BTW, for you die trackers, any of these die pairs could be available, especially if they were what I considered "vanilla" coins with no real nicely visible variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill, this is the only example of this die pair in your coins. It isn't the same reverse die as the DP9 #2 which you have a number of, it just looks like it. You actually had this one labeled as the DP9 #2 which is Haxby Obverse G4 + Reverse E3a, but this coin is Haxby Obverse 77a + Reverse P15b and is much scarcer. Many of the coins I have photographed were from your holders with writing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, the 9 looks like the 9 on p284 of the 2011 variety section, but the other Rev markers aren't there. Since all the 9's were hand-punched and it took 2-4 whacks to complete the die, there are probably lots of 9's that look like that on different dies with different other markers. It's why I'm not a die-tracker, just a variety guy who likes visible offsets. The 9 also looks like those on p 283 or 285, but the 285 is a Zoell R2c that I have alot of. I'm pretty sure that there are more 9's like this one in what I sent and in better shape at the lower left upper loop and the bottom of the tongue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
922 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With 223 known reverse dies, there are many that look alike in a particular area of the die like the date or stem to leaf 9. The Haxby catalog is not just for die trackers. It is also for variety collectors who need to confirm which variety it is. Many times the only way to do that is to look at all of the other markers on both sides of the coin including determining the reverse die group and die states of both obverse and reverse. Reverse die P15b is a great example of this, because of the similarity of the 9 to other dies. But using the Haxby catalog it is an easy attribution because of the obverse die crack to the G of GRATIA.

Here's one of the varieties I know you like Bill. Haxby PC59-172 (obverse 48 + reverse J7f). This is also listed in the 2011 Charlton on page 295. A boldly re-punched 1 of the date and some re-punching on the 5 as well.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05