Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 UK Half Crown Opinions.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18291 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2021  07:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys.
Please rate this coin.
Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh, coin at around AU-55 to me... I don't have any that high of grade of that type yet.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF to gEF.
There are a few different varieties too and it's worth checking out as the pattern type is quite rare: https://www.coincuriosity.com/view/...rieties.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster persists in protected areas but open fields have obvious friction that has erased luster. US-grading would be AU-50 or better. Probably qualifies as "good EF" by British standards.
Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I would say it's just about EF on the reverse, as there is a lot of wear on the veil and some light wear on her hair on the crown. The hairlines are flat (An EF coin you should be able to see the strands).

The Obverse is stunning and shows only a touch of wear. The buckles are sharp and lion faces show good detail. Lustre is nice, however a slight disfiguring stain and dullness on the reverse.

This type was notorious for a poor strike of Victoria and a sharp one of the elaborate obverse. These coins are my favourite and I am lucky to own very nice 1887, 1888 and 1891.

Your 1887 is better than mine too!

aEF/gEF British grading - AU50/AU58 American
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55 American. I don't know yours grading.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19083 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
!887 is by far and away the most common date for Victorian Half Crowns. I bought my example in good EF with full luster and mild patina (has fewer dings than coin pictured) for 7 (AUD $15) a coin show about 15 years ago.
Lots of them were hoarded by the British Public for the Jubilee Year.

I thought I got a reasonable bargain at the time, but I keep seeing high EF to choice Unc examples turning up for sale reasonably often. They always seem to be available, if you go looking for them.
Grading wise, if there is the tiniest amount of wear on Victoria' ear, they should grade in the EF to good EF range.
For Unc grades, look for undisturbed luster on the high points - both sides.

For quality of strike, I look at the front faces of the triple lions in the shield.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-55 by U.S. standards.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05