Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 DDO, If This Isn't A True Doubled Die It My Closest Find

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 612Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  07:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The devices do not seem shelf like so mayb DDD, there is also doubling on the queen's face, let me know, not the greatest photos, these letters are the smallest and hardest to capture.

Edited by Wrekkdd
09/01/2021 07:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after looking at comparisons I know now, MD queen's face DDD on D.G. REG. I was hoping to post something decent for my milestone but I well, great not DDO example lol.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41982 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking it is only MD not a DDD. Contest time to celebrate your mile stone?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1,I don't think I have or have posted anything really contest worthy for a prize, and I'm kinda broke lol. I don't think the DG RATIA is MD as the devices aren't shelf like they seem to me to enlarge the devices, but since only parts of the letters are doubled as far as I can see would lead me to believe DDD over MD, you could be right but I haven't seen MD on letters like that. Mayb others will have a clear idea. If iv posted anything anyone would want I could do a contest but other then the odd variety that might be worth a little premium I don't think anyone wants my pennies lol. Let me know everyone if there is anything you might want in a contest as a prize. Other then my son's 50$ coin and birthday 2021 set lol. I also have all of the commemorative colour and non colour toonies, but idk how to ship coins:p and from Canada to the states idk the costs etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1 also I believe if it was MD there would be doubling on the sides of the lettering where it only appears on top and slightly off the normal devices,MD would leave a secondary image all around the letting with how off center it is to the lettering. But again I could be wrong but that's my understanding of DDD and MD
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41982 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's wait and see what other members have to say
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe people are tiered of looking at my MD and DDD coins lol.
Learn More...
Canada
9957 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you read that Stanton pdf article that I posted the link to in your other thread?

I just see Machine Doubling, the narrowing of the devices is a good indicator.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, for me it's hard to tell that the devices have been narrowed, the lettering is already pretty worn flat and most of these have the tiniest thin lettering, I'm surprised I managed to even get a half decent picture. The angle I took the crap at makes everything look smaller and thinner as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with the others, just MD.
Congrats on your If you want to come up with a contest, I'll put up a 2015 P Lincoln cent DDO-001 for you to give away. Just let me know.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@-makecents- save it for when you hit your milestone. I think I'm gonna give away my silver dimes. I haven't decided what I'll do for a contest yet though, I'm thinking a guessing game but haven't chosen a topic yet:p I over think these things. I also can't decide if I should do 6 prizes of 1 silver dime or 2 for 3 each or what lol, idk that anyone collects silver dimes from the 50s and 60s but I imagine free bullion alone is enough for a prize even if they aren't good enough for a collection.

I do really appreciate the offer though, very generous of you.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/02/2021 08:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I want to re find this coin, many of the Canadian doubled dies that I have seen look like MD because of how flat the devices are to begin with. Split serifs are what to look for not just doubling and with my scope I'd like to re evaluate this one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1077 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% Machine Doubling, you can tell just by looking at the queens nose, I have MD examples of the 1978 cent in BU, when I get a chance I'll take some photos
Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@johnwayn007,I'm sure you a correct here, the face is definitely MD the lettering also looks MD but fairly severe, so if there was an MD example to mimic doubled die on lettering it would be close to this. These photos are with natural lighting and way less then what I can zoom in with my scope. I want to find it more for reference then anything.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 612Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: