Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Complete A Set Of One Denomination Only To Start A New Denomination Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 511Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  4:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was curious as to how many of you finally finish a collection only to start a new collection of a different denomination. For me, I started on Lincolns finished that set except for the big one, 1909-s vdb ( coming soon I hope ). I then saw a Jefferson collection on ebay for cheap so I bought it. Well from there the Jeffersons all had to be uncirculated, then all the proofs. I did the same thing with the Roosevelts, than all had to be uncirculated, then I needed all the proofs including the silver proofs. Both of these were relatively inexpensive compared to the Lincolns. Well never being satisfied I wanted a obw roll of Lincolns back to 1950.
I was wondering if you guys get on tilt like I did? Now I want all my Lincolns to be slabbed. The problem with this is I am a poor man . Veteran coin collectors , will it ever end. The quick answer is when I die I guess? My goal I believe is to have a decent Lincoln collection so my kids can sell it after I die to buy a pack of cigarettes (probably) Tell me there are others out there like me!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You described the way I do it. I would do one, complete and do another. It's the América way :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. And do it for your own enjoyment. Slabbing post-1930 coins is seldom a good bet - grade for grade, you can often get them already slabbed for less money that it costs to submit, with no risk.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started the same way. Buffalo nickels, then buffalo silver bullion, then silver bullion, then junk silver, then Franklins, then Kennedys, then Eisenhowers, then Peace dollars, then SBA dollars, then Jefferson nickels, then V nickels, then Shield nickels, then 3 cent nickels, then poured silver (for fun). Some rare key dates I am missing, like a couple early Jefferson and Franklin proofs and others, but I'm still chugging away. I haven't started anything new for a couple of years. Really, I'm most interested in silver and gold but when the price gets too high I go back to the other stuff. God willing, it will be my son's problem to sell it.

I have no interest in pennies, dimes, or quarters - unless the latter two are silver. I don't know why I don't care for them. One thing I like the large coins like dollars and half dollars.

Even though I said I don't like pennies. I have collected about 20 pounds of wheat pennies that I keep in those bank bags. I have never looked through them though.
Edited by HappyHippo
09/02/2021 8:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I build sets as I thrash through coins--of all denominations. Infrequently I'll buy a few pieces to bring 90% sets up to ~98% complete when they've been sitting for long periods of time. Just build them as I go. Of course a few sets will never be brought to 100%--I can live with that.
Learn More...
Australia
13928 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Finishing" a "set". What an alien concept.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3676 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I build sets as I thrash through coins--of all denominations. Infrequently I'll buy a few pieces to bring 90% sets up to ~98% complete when they've been sitting for long periods of time. Just build them as I go. Of course a few sets will never be brought to 100%--I can live with that.
That sounds about right, except 1) for me "thrashing through coins" involves bargain bins rather than roll hunting, 2) I tend to think in terms of type sets rather than date sets, and 3) even 90% complete is rare unless I bought the entire thing in one go.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20479 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too say finishing a set? Just not possible. There is always a need to improve each and every coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I planned to start collecting year by year but I quickly found out that if I wanted to keep building my collection I should buy good coins when they're available, regardless of year or denomination or whatever else.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3314 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't usually focus on one set at a time. I usually have a few sets going at any point in time. Typically, I'll start one, get 25%-50% in and then start another the same, then another. Breaks up some of the monotony for me of start to finish on just one. Once complete, there are ALWAYS the occasional upgrades that I'm always keeping an eye out for. Currently in progress it's my slabbed AU-MS Buff set (11 remaining), my 7070 (4 remaining), and my 2 and 3 cent album (1 Two Cent, wayyy too many 3CN.)

Have also decided to start Buffalo set #5.. can never have too many Buffalo nickels!!!
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no interest in pennies, dimes, or quarters - unless the latter two are silver. I don't know why I don't care for them. One thing I like the large coins like dollars and half dollars.

Even though I said I don't like pennies. I have collected about 20 pounds of wheat pennies that I keep in those bank bags. I have never looked through them though.

Hey happyhippo , I have say I laughed out loud but no one to hear me, in any case I am just the opposite as I don't care for the large coins or should I say I prefer the smaller denominations. This is what makes collecting fun. Everyone on the forum collects something different. This forum is truly worldwide.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: