Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unscrupulous Ebay Seller

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,655Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1939 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it's possible that the other buyer received their coin enough ahead of your delivery that the seller had an opportunity to intercept. I wouldn't necessarily trust the USPS data to conclude anything, and it seems like there was a window there where USPS snagged it before it was "out for delivery". The problem is that you can't be sure the seller story is true, because you never received the wrong coin. I suppose you could politely ask what wrong coin you were going to receive, and then check sold items to see if it seems true. The seller must know for a fact who got shipped which coin, or they wouldn't have intercepted yours. If you see the item relisted at a much higher price, proceed from there. But if the other buyer exists, they might never return your coin to the seller.

Assuming they refunded your shipping charge, they've now spent that, the intercept fee, plus the shipping charge to get it back, so they've probably spent close to 50% of your item's value getting it back. One possibility is that the wrong coin they shipped you is worth way more than you paid, so it was worth their trouble and expense to not have you receive it and keep it.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for bringing up what item was supposed to be in the package heading to me. Here is exchange #5 he sent to me. He claims it was a $300 NGC slabbed Mercury dime. Now if you go look at his recent feedback, you see a $300 NGC Mercury dime that he sold on August 28, that has been delivered I would suppose, because there is positive feedback. Coincidence?

Keep in mind, the package he sent to me, is still on it's way back to him, it looks like it still has a couple days to go before returned to the seller.

Link to the sold Mercury dime - https://www.ebay.com/itm/402930606376

This is a message I received #5, after I left my subtle message to him that I knew what really was going on.

Message exchange #5 from the Seller.
I'm not sure what you are trying to insuate exactly, with intercept rodeos or what not but I've been as honest and forthright as I would expect anyone to be with me. I did not know a package could be intercepted until I went to the post office and spoke with the postmaster about the issue at hand. To be perfectly honest the biggest problem I have about the Indian cent you ordered arriving where it shouldn't have isn't about the $40 invested and the less than $6.00 of profit that we stood see. However I do care about and take exception to disappointing a customer such as yourself who expected good service and the coin they paid for and I was also quite worried about the $300.00+ NGC slabbed Mercury dime that was headed somewhere it wasn't supposed to be. Now I don't understand why anyone would pay a $15-20 intercept fee for the Indian cent however the Mercury dime to me was worth at least trying to get it back before it was delivered.
Edited by HumblePie
09/04/2021 12:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just a thought based on my 22 years of experience as an eBay buyer:

He refunds your money and you accept the refund, right?
Actually, you probably have no way to decline the refund anyway, if you're using PayPal or a direct charge against a credit card. It's already been returned to your account.
At that point, eBay would consider the case closed from their point of view...nothing to pursue and "facts" won't make a difference as the buyer is "whole," having lost nothing.

If the coin you bought comes back to the seller, whether from another customer (as he claims) or through some fiction or chicanery on his part that snookered the USPS into intercepting it, it's all his now and he's free to list and sell it again. Without a court order, neither you nor eBay has a way to prove there was no other buyer involved in the persiflage you allege.

The bottom line appears to be that there's no clear path for recourse as he's played it by the book to all appearances, however dishonest his actions behind the scenes may have been.

Forget feedback: If you see the same easily identifiable coin listed again on eBay at a significantly higher price (or opening bid), use eBay's live chat customer service connection to complain. I've actually gotten satisfactory results and mediated "settlements" that way on a couple of occasions.

This is one of those situations that reinforces my wish that eBay provided some mechanism to enable us that would enable us to "block seller." (I've got three or four bad actors/graders whose listings keep cluttering up my search alerts.)

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5580 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forward, ever forward.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4010 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have been made whole .
You just have to move forward and forget about this
or it will live rent free in your head .
Like a bus in a busy city , a new deal comes along every ten minutes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1939 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, it does make sense now. I was expecting a $500+ value on the mistakenly shipped coin but $300 is reasonable, and certainly if I was the other buyer I would contact them immediately about receiving a $50 coin for the $300+ spent. It seems like you're reading way too much nefarious subterfuge into this whole thing. I had no idea you could intercept a USPS shipment either, and so it's reasonable that the seller never encountered this before. I would send a polite apologetic reply asking that if they do get the coin back, they sell it to you with the original terms, and then move on.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, in the eyes of eBay, I have been made whole with a refund. But, I rarely see or want to look through the eyes of eBay.

At this point I know I will never see the Coin, after he intercepted the package I believe he made it very clear through the messages that I need to forget about the Coin. He never had any thoughts or cares about ever trying to get that Coin to me.

I just wanted to prove my case as I saw it and not just take his excuse on what happened as truth. As I stated at the beginning, when I first purchased the Coin I had my doubts I would ever see it. Because it was an unlisted variety coming from a variety Coin seller.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kbbpll,

I would like to think I am over thinking this. But, you have to keep in mind, he had to start the usps intercept before the "other customer" even received his package (my Coin). My package was at my usps August 31, 4am, scheduled to be delivered August 31, morning-noon hour range. It did not get delivered on Aug 31 (daytime) for some reason. The "other customer" contacted him Aug 31, "Evening hours".

I just can't bring myself to think he could do a usps intercept hours or maybe even a day before he states that his "other customer" contacted him. I do think usps intercept is more than just a push of a button.

I am going to try and get some info from usps about when the intercept process was first started and if there was any reasoning on why the seller wanted to stop delivery. If I can get that info, it will solve a lot of the wondering. If he started the intercept on Aug 30th or before, what do I believe then?

The info I get from usps could be - ZERO.

If I am able to get some info, I feel like the intercept start date will be August 30th or early morning of August 31. Which if that is the case, that should make him out to be a total liar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7896 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Red, you got lucky, that's a damaged coin or as I call it a 10 footer. Way too much money for that coin.

* Hey maybe you could try an intercept of his intercept.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2768 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read thru this and I was ready to defend the seller on the grounds of "innocent until proven guilty" and that stranger this have happened. In other words, his story could have been true, and some coincidence caused your package to not be delivered on the 31st which gave them the opportunity to intercept after the alleged Mercury dime buyer received the coin intended for you.
However, the positive feedback from the Mercury dime buyer is a tough one to explain. If the feedback had been more general like "good honest seller" I could accept that the buyer received the wrong coin and then was made whole by the seller and felt that a positive feedback was due. But "awesome coin fast shipping" is not a likely feedback from a customer who received the wrong item.
Therefore, I am inclined to believe that the seller did indeed try to get back their coin after realizing it's value.
Personally, I don't get worked up about things like this. I've had many times where I won an auction for a steal and the seller never ships it. I know why they didn't ship, but I don't get upset. They're wrong for doing it, but it is very understandable. Nobody enjoys losing money.
So, while you thought you got a steal and then lost that steal, you haven't lost any actual money. It may be frustrating or upsetting, but no real loss. I am not putting down how must feel, but putting my perspective on how I have dealt with similar situations.
One more point, which was discussed earlier and I think the intent was missed.
Someone wrote that since the coin was shipped it is theft for the seller to take it back.
I am no lawyer, but I don't think that is true. As someone else pointed out, if the package had been lost by USPS, would you not attempt to be refunded by the seller. Would you take an answer of "well, I shipped it and that means it was yours and they lost your package. So it's your problem"? I don't think anyone would accept that. So, while the seller acted poorly IMO, I don't think any laws were broken.
I will end off by echoing the advice of many posters above - move on. Don't dwell on it. Maybe, just maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and your coin will arrive after the whole thing sorts out and then you may have to eat some humble pie.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3187 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is another flaw in the seller's story.

The 1908 cent tracking shows that USPS had the package on August 27 at 4:48pm.

The 1937-S Mercury Silver Dime NGC MS-66FB sells on eBay on August 28 at 10:23am. This is the only Mercury dime in a NGC holder that sold on eBay around the time the 1908 cent sold.

How does the Mercury dime get into the a package that shipped the day before then ships the 1908 to another buyer? I guess, it is possible if the seller is totally incompetent.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm always ready to eat a slice of humble pie or two. If I ever get the Coin I will eat three slices and the Coin on live TV. lol

I feel a package getting lost in the mail and a seller using usps intercept to get a package back is two totally different things.
Even if his story is true that he sent me the wrong item, I should still deserve to have a chance to get my item at some point, as I told him that "I still wanted my Coin".

You have to admit, through all his messages, that he is clear that I'm never going to receive my Coin, at any time, and if he does get it back he is going to relist it again on eBay?

That should speaks volumes as to his intent and if he has any chance of doing something unscrupulous.

I am "moving on" with thinking I will ever get my Coin. But, I'm not quite done dealing with this seller yet.

I was on the phone with eBay this morning for about 30 minutes. They assured me that a seller taking a package back under false pretense using usps intercept is a big problem. They assured me they would read the message exchange between him and I, and investigate the $300 NGC Mercury dime transaction, and if any others were sold around that time, that fit his description. They also assured me, they would look for messages with claims to have received a wrong Coin by this seller, around the dates in question. They assured me they had "investigators" that handled claims like these and it would be looked in to. I'm not holding my breath, but she did sound convincing.

As far as USPS - as the receiver of the package I am entitled to.

1. Weight of package. 2. Date and time the intercept was first started. 3. Reason given for usps intercept.

I think I have provided all I could on my end for the justification on this. I don't plan on adding anymore to this unless I'm asked a question.

Of course, I would like to add any results that I may get from usps or eBay, no matter if the results make me out to be right, or in need of a slice of humble pie, or two.

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apcol258 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure sounds like the seller pulled a fast one here, but you win some, you lose some. It almost made it to you too which stinks. Wheather it's due to unscrupulous sellers or legitimate mistakes, until you open the package and the item you wanted falls out onto your lap there is a lot that can happen between "winning" an item and actually getting it
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check OriginalAtog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add OriginalAtog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had both bad and good interactions on Ebay. If you got your money refunded then all that was wasted is your time and effort in communications, bids, etc...

Sounds very shady and unscrupulous, but it could have been much much worse.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,655Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05