Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 Jefferson Nickel That Looks Smudged & Possible Offcentre Broadstrike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 312Next Topic  

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  09:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LKrystal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 2001 nickel that I've held onto for quite some time now, it seems to appear like the dye is smudged. I'm wondering if it was possibly Struck Through Grease? And on the reverse side it seems as though it was off centre during striking.
The thickness of the coin is the same as other nickels. Because at first I wondered if it had maybe gotten run over by something. But it doesn't seem to appear that way.

I took many photos, with different lighting because it almost seems like there are faint letters in the "smudged" area.

If anyone could help me, I would very much appreciate some insight on this. Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12085 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

We would love to help you but without pictures, it is pretty much impossible
as it could be anything from damage to an error.
A clear photo of both sides are required for any evaluation.
Edited by JimmyD
09/05/2021 10:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3413 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20960 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lk, first welcome to CCF. Second, here is a link to the tutorial on uploading pics. I look forward to seeing what you have.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LKrystal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say your nickel is just badly damaged. Looks like it was hammered or squeezed in a vise.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LKrystal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies on the late response. I was having a difficult time figuring out how to post photos. I eneded up giving up up a couple weeks but came back to it and was able to upload them .

If you additional photos would help I can upload more.
I also had take pictures wjth different lighting because in my opinion it looks as though there are words slightly imprinted on one side.

I think it also would help to add that the thickness of this nickel hasn't changed whatsoever. It is exactly the same as any other nickel I've observed.

Im curious to know what you guys think, as I've held onto it for a long time now.

So thank you in advance !
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LKrystal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim where is says e pluribus unum is misplaced compared to other nickels too
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No this is all from a hammer. No way this could have happened at the time of the strike.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12085 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pictures.
It is now easy to that what you have is a damaged coin.
It doesn't really matter how it happened. All that matters is that it couldn't
have happened when the coin was struck which makes it PMD
Pillar of the Community
United States
3413 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7187 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage ( PMD). The hammer explanation seems valid, as there is nothing in the minting process that would produce such damage. If you don't believe us, take it to a local coin shop and ask them. Sorry.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05