Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Too Many Issues With PCGS! Is It Time To Go Raw? Or Another TPG?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,034Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
734 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  6:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am fed up and done with PCGS! I have recently sent in and received back 8 coins that I sent in for grading and attribution. I have submitted coins 17 times in the last 7 years and the last few just keep getting worse and worse results. With my latest order of 8 coins, 4 were undergraded or the wrong designation and 3 were overgraded. I have posted 4 of them on this forum to show you and for your opinions. I thought almost all of them should have been details but half came back straight !
1. http://goccf.com/t/407190
2. http://goccf.com/t/407191
3. http://goccf.com/t/407192
4. http://goccf.com/t/397149

This is becoming a waste of time (this last order took almost 3 months to get back) and money to get coins graded by PCGS any longer. It feels like they have no idea or have no time and just throw out a grade or designation without spending the necessary time looking at the coin. I have tried working with them many times and I have made many contacts there but it doesn't seem to help. Is anyone else having this same experience? Is NGC or ANACS any better?
Pillar of the Community
United States
590 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just gave up on PCGS as well. I got questionable color on almost my entire order of 8 Indian Head cents. One of the few they straight graded was one I was thinking was questionable. I don't even think they know what copper is supposed to look like anymore.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider it essential that you must grade accurately for yourself.
How do you learn?
- A good way is to grade from from the 'You vs TPG' picture threads here in the CCF.

Slabs best utilized for selling purposes, with coins above a nominal value of $150.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ownership and president both changed this year. Not sure if that's going to make things better or worse. I've never submitted a coin to them but from my experience on their forum I never will. It's a long story but the summary is that I demonstrated that their designation of a 1942 experimental cent as "high relief" was bogus, the forum thread contained lots of research by me and others, they poofed it because it embarrassed them, and when I called them out on it, they banned me.

So yeah, they're not big on doing research where they really need to. Certainly there are a lot of run-of-the-mill coins where it doesn't take much time to slap out a grade, but my impression is that they treat every coin that way. I can guess that hiring and keeping qualified employees could be a problem too, as it seems to be in every industry these days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
734 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel_691, I am sorry but I don't understand your comment? Can you elaborate? I do grade my coins and send coins to PCGS to help when it comes time to sell. Unfortunately, with the grades that PCGS has been giving it is doing more harm than good. My grades are in line with what other people think as well (why I posted the 4 coins in the forum). I submit coins to PCGS for one of two reasons, the value is over $500 or the die marriage is an R6 or higher. The 4th link above coin is valued at $3,500 ( PCGS value) in XF45 grade but $5,000 ( PCGS value) in AU53, everyone that has commented says at least AU53 if not higher. It is kind of hard to sell an XF45 graded coin at an AU price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3248 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it appears that PCGS missed on all 4 grades. I stopped sending in coins for grading about 2 years ago as the grades from PCGS and NGC were too inconsistent. Today, the coins that I buy raw, stay raw. I still do send in coins to CAC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are sure your coins are undergraded, send to CAC and if you are correct, they should give them a gold bean.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
856 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's like everything about their grading changed, I'm so used to seeing cleaned coins in straight grade holders, coins with no luster in mintstate holders. Now it seems the smallest Nick is a "scratch", and now the inconsistency seems inconsistent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4076 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had great results from ANACS over the last year.
NGC results overall decent .
Won't use PCGS for numerous reasons .
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer ANACS by far. To me, they seem more consistent, I have yet to have any serious issues over a couple hundred submissions, and they cost significantly less than PCGS and NGC. I just don't agree with the idea that ANACS is a step below PCGS/NGC. At worst, they're even.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you are sure your coins are undergraded, send to CAC and if you are correct, they should give them a gold bean.

This!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a general statement:
It is essential that you learn to grade accurately for yourself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1031 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Morgan dollars ANACS
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypesetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am fed up and done with PCGS! I have recently sent in and received back 8 coins that I sent in for grading and attribution. I have submitted coins 17 times in the last 7 years and the last few just keep getting worse and worse results. With my latest order of 8 coins, 4 were undergraded or the wrong designation and 3 were overgraded. I have posted 4 of them on this forum to show you and for your opinions. I thought almost all of them should have been details but half came back straight !

The 4th coin from what I can tell was undegraded. I do think CAC would sticker it as it looks like a very strong EF45. But I could be wrong.

I do have one question for you. Did you buy these coins online or did you buy these in person. I hate to say it but there is a recurring pattern with allot of coin collectors buying RAW online and being way off with what PCGS/NGC has come back with. My point being that allot of coins are quite difficult to buy RAW online. There are just somethings you will not be able to see from a picture. My 2 cents.

Cheers
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've learning to grade, it's tough but worth it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20470 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could care less about any grading service. If I like a coin, I but it regardless of any grade.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,034Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: