Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Don't Know If My Camera Is Good Enough, Possible DDR 2016 P Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 199Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  09:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is what appears to be a small amount of extra metal on the top of the middle olive leaf. The light refracts different in this spot then a normal dime of the same year. I didn't see a listing for a doubled die in this spot and the dime seems to have many markers that match up with some of the wexlers doubled dies for this year so figured I'd get a second opinion.

On a side note this thing is riddled with die chips and a huge one on the olive branch, and I apologize for the turned pictures they turned when I posted them.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/11/2021 09:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40856 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a die chip. You need to find a doubled die first,then match die markers. Your coin does not look like a doubled die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think any of these more modern doubled dies will be impossible for me to distinguish with my phone.i think my in laws got me a portable digital microscope for my birthday, hopefully it's better then my phone:p I'll find out on the 12th.

On a side note I don't think Canadian coin dies ever get worn down half as much as American. You never see this kinda Die Deterioration on Canadian coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian coins do not circulate on the same level that US coins do, so it's difficult to compare Die Deterioration.

Correct coin orientation will get you more replies. If they automatically turn on you, turn them yourself and they then will be correct. Practice.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover, I'm not sure what you mean about correct coin orientation? And circulation wouldn't effect Die Deterioration (supply and demand would) many more American coins are produced then Canadian coins so I think more time can be spent perfecting the dies. IMO a true americain doubled die is probably as rare as a Canadian large die chip. The die chip on this coins or in general many obvious die chips iv never seen on any Canadian coin of any denomination. And of the odd true Canadian error coin, it's value is 1/100th of the same error on an American coin. If I look up sold listings for Canadian coins it's almost like every error or die event or variety seems to sell. The market is much smaller here with much less premium but I think the market has been picking up here. But it makes websites like etsey open to fraud sellers. I think there needs to be more of a differentiation between what's "worth money" as a Canadian coin vs and americain. But anyways that rant is a separate topic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@merclover, I'm not sure what you mean about correct coin orientation?

"Correct coin orientation" is when your coin is seen in a proper "upright" direction for optimal "normal" viewing. When a coin is presented on it's side or upside down some readers cannot properly adapt to it's out-of-normal viewing bearing. When a coin is shown on it's side or up-side down, some of our CCF members bend their head or worse, stand on their heads to "correct" this abnormal presentation and end up with sore necks or back injuries. When this happens enough, some members skip the thread altogether, and you will miss their input. Posts with correct coin orientation get more replies, making everyone happier!

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1256 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover, that's very useful information, thank you. I can try and take a better shot if this coin once I get some new gear. I understand light infraction on and angled shot can make anything look like anything lol, so I understand asking for clarification on a poor shot of something that is hard enough to make out with professional gear is un reasonable. If I make any other posts I'll be more focused on filtering my light. Coop posted an article of a simple way to filter light with a coat hanger and shopping bag so mayb I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the input.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05