Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 Standing Liberty - Grading Question - F12 Or VG8?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been searching coins. Found this one that looked nice. Hoping for f12 - but I'm leaning toward VG.

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61662 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I'll say VF-35.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a VF
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3585 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid f-15
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61662 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at that 100% complete shield bead border.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/11/2021 8:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was gonna say similar, with a fully readable date like that, with at least a VF-20.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3197 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3105 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also at VF30, very possibly VF35. Again, photos outside the 2x2 will give us a better feel for the surfaces in regards to luster and surface originality
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22836 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VF-35 to me. Nice original coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30, date is strong too.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10697 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15982 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right off the bat I said to myself VF . You said you leaned to VG . Ok not coming down on you but you really need to brush up on your grading . Your coin has a lot of meat still on it , you hardly ever see full rivets on the shield of a circulated SLQ ; but your coin does show it . The reverse is really nice and attractive again for a circulated SLQ .
I'm going to give it VF-30. Go onto this site ,it will show you the different grades of all U.S. denominations . https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice VF35
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When there is some detail on the head, the neck is distinct from the head, and the coat of mail is visible, the coin almost certainly will make VF. On some coins (not yours) the shield is grading problem, because die polishing frequently eliminated the inner shield and rivets closest to Miss Liberty. These are known as "abraded shields" and need to be graded on the other obverse design elements.

My practice is to grade entirely from the obverse, and then confirm the grade with the reverse.

IMHO, you are at VF-35, with a solid strike for the date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
654 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice original VF-35. Nice coin!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05