Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Teenagers Of Today, Coins Can Be A History Lesson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 437Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  09:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have shown many teenagers I teach a Lincoln wheat, Buffalo nickel, Mercury dime and 99% have never seen anything like it. I also bet many people that there is no such thing as a nickel and all beg to differ. My bets are all in fun as no actual bet takes place. I then have to tell them why or is a nickel an offiical recognized term by the government? what about a penny?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2398 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is a nickel an offiical recognized term by the government? what about a penny?

Check the US Uncirculated Set and Mint Set packaging, or the descriptions on the US Mint site, for the answer to these questions.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20464 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That word for a Cent has been argued to death. Everyone calls those things Pennies. Every kid, parent, etc. says Pennies. However, on the coin itself it says Cent. I wonder why our Mint just doesn't change the name of the coin to Penny. I don't understand your problem with Nickels. The next thing you will really have a problem with is telling anyone there is a thing called a Half Dollar. And try telling anyone about a two or Three Cent coin.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why our Mint just doesn't change the name of the coin to Penny. I don't understand your problem with Nickels. The next thing you will really have a problem with is telling anyone there is a thing called a Half Dollar. And try telling anyone about a two or Three Cent coin.
just carl

I always think emails can be misinterpreted but I promise you good sir I have zero problems with whatever they are called It's always in good fun and just for conversation. In fact I never say one cent piece or five cent coin as with all normal Americans it's a penny or nickel to me. "Just Carl" I have been reading many many posts recent and archived and am well aware of your knowledge and contributions to the forum. When you have something to say I always read. Please Please I want to stay on your good side or get there anyway. I am eager to learn (Big fish)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are giving our current teenagers a short straw, many of them are VERY interested in coin and currency. I know my youngest wants my collection (I think she wants it for the value, but never the less). Her boyfriend had been collecting since he was little. I gave a few, he was ecstatic. He even ended getting a safe.

My take on this is we all have duplicates and triplicates and etc. Why not put those coins to go use. Consider it charity. I've given away several full sets of Lincoln Cents (1940 to 1975) and a full set (minus the S mint) Indian Head cents of 1880 to 1909. And I still have a few. Associate the coin/currency with history and the kids eat it up. When my daughter was studying WWII, I showed her the Hawaii, North Africa and FRN. She understood right away why there 3 different kinds.

So yes, show them and help them join the hobby. Without the young kids this hobby dies with us.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I think you are giving our current teenagers a short straw, many of them are VERY interested in coin and currency. I know my youngest wants my collection (I think she wants it for the value, but never the less). Her boyfriend had been collecting since he was little. I gave a few, he was ecstatic. He even ended getting a safe."

Teenagers are our future, for better or worse, I have coached and taught them for 39 years (over 6000 of them) but things have changed. There are more and more opportunities for different hobbies and I for one have not seen interest in coins by many young people. On a brighter side there is the son of one of my good friends who enjoys coins. I hooked him up with 90% of all Lincolns including all bu back to 1940. He will have to find the rest and I will be curious to see if he does in my life time.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why our Mint just doesn't change the name of the coin to Penny.
Maybe they have? It just does not say it on the coin. The dollar coins are still dollar coins even though they say $1 on them now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why our Mint just doesn't change the name of the coin to Penny.

Because they can't. The coin is legally described in the US Code as a CENT. That is its LEGAL name. If you want to change that legally, it is going to require legislation passed by Congress. The mint can't just do it on their own. Slang usage you can call it anything you want, but it is still a cent.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5129 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Teach a kid about world coins, and you open all kinds of vistas on world history and geography.

My interest in geography and world history was tightly interwoven with collecting world coins when I was a kid.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: