Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Dime, Partially Retained Collar Or PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 215Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  10:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This dime stood out to me in a plastic customer roll, I could see a copper colour all the way around the rim. I believe it's on both sides of the rim and goes all the way around. I'm not sure if it's anything. I'll be able to get a better look after work.

It not like something iv seen before, based on the angle it is on and where it's placed it wouldn't be from the face of the coin scraping otherwise the rim on the face of the coin would look damaged, if it's PMD I'd have to guess it was in a holder of sorts/vice, or someone took the time to do it by hand. You guys probably can't tell from these pictures so I'll check it out with my scope tonight, for now these will have to make due
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No ideas yet? Here's another picture. Unfortunately I touched the coin face to take it-_- I tried to just tough the rim. It's like a copper colour all the way around on both sides of the rim.
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an opinion ,just an observation. I have seen a number of dimes with the rim edge displaying the copper coloured edge....my guess wear or too thin a plated nickel surface or just plain wear likely from a coin machine sorter.

Nickel-plated steel
From 1968 to 1999, it was composed entirely of nickel, and since 2000, it has consisted of a steel core with plating composed of layers of nickel and copper.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cdmgmt, definitely sounds like a possibility I still have yet to check this with my scope. It's seems really smooth though and even all the way around the coin on both sides. It seems unlikely though that the steel plating would wear off Soo easily on this specific area on the coin. As far as I can tell it's not an error but PMD. It stood out a lot when it was in a roll of dimes. First time I have seen this but many of the rolls iv searched were paper or coloured plastic so that could be why iv never seen it before
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no steel plating. The coin is steel, then a thin layer of copper and then an even thinner layer of nickel
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner-_- I knew that, had a little brain fart. I am fairly positive this can't be an error but I'll still take a look in my scope if I can. Thanks you for the correction:).
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05