Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Making Progress On My Peace Dollar Collection

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 595Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  4:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Next up will be the 1926.

Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11985 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are very nice! Will this be a date set only?
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan to start with a date set and then tackle the mint marks. Some will be tough.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60872 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid start for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Make sure you get a 2021

BTW I think Peace dollars are one of the most beautiful coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully your upcoming 1928 dollar will be at a bargain price ; that is a hard one in MS-65 and later, the 2 obvious toughies in that same grade are the 1925-S and 1934-S....

mine 1928 peace is in the lofty grade of AG-3.
Edited by mrwhatisit
09/14/2021 7:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll shoot for at least brilliant uncirculated for the set. 34-S in 65 would be rough. It's tough enough in MS-60.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7231 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start - best of wishes as you progress through the set.

Quote:
34-S in 65 would be rough.

Agreed that would be an expensive stretch for most collectors. It's a $10K coin in that grade.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2962 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good and best of luck! Looking forward to seeing how this set progresses
Learn More...
United States
20646 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a great start for what will be an impressive set when you are done. I'm looking forward to your updates too.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4146 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good start. Don't hesitate to add ANACS or ICG graded coins.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I absolutely love your taste in eye appeal of these Peace dollars. While chances are they've been dipped at some point in the past, apparently that was done gently enough to easily get straight graded. I own only two Peace dollars (1921 and 1925) as I'm a Type Set collector, and the eye appeal of mine are just like yours.

Keep it up, don't lower your standards, and be patient. Finally, as you know your goal (at least initially), is to complete your DATE set, it really doesn't matter at all what order you bought them in, so if you come across a real nice one that you love that is fairly priced, but is a "later date", I strongly suggest you not pass on it!

Happy Hunting!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
09/15/2021 04:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I've seen opinions that "blast white" coins are all dipped but I think the GSA Morgans are a great counterexample. They were all stored in bank bags, as most BU Morgan and Peace dollars were, and a huge number where blast white when encapsulated. We know that because the GSA put any toned coins in a Circulated holder. I think at 65+ grades, original coins are much more common as any dip is going to slightly impair luster, and take off mint frost, and would be noticeable. In the 60 to 63 range dipped coins will be a lot more common.
Edited by fenton
09/15/2021 08:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think at 65+ grades, original coins are much more common as any dip is going to slightly impair luster, and take off mint frost, and would be noticeable. In the 60 to 63 range dipped coins will be a lot more common.

I respectfully disagree. While I don't "swim in the deepest end of the pool", I get close. Most of my coins are in the four figures, so many of them are indeed higher grades, above 65. Click on the hotlink in my signature to see my Dansco 7070 Registry Set. While many coins have some light toning, many others are blast white in high grades. EVERY coin eligible fo a CAC has one, since all of the dipping was done gently enough so the luster has NOT been slightly impaired, hence they all got CAC stickers.

So stick to your guns! Both you and I like silver coins appearing as if they were made yesterday, just as the designers envisioned their coins should look!

Happy Hunting!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
09/16/2021 3:30 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 595Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05