Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greek Bronze (Syracuse)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I plucked this from a shop's unsorted material today. Everything else was fairly junky modern stuff, so initially I was a bit concerned about the possibility of this being a modern reproduction, but in examining it closely, I'm now reasonably convinced of its authenticity. However, while I feel like it ought to be easy to attribute, the reverse legend, which I take to begin with "Γ", is not proving useful to me in that task.

It's about 18.5 mm across, with the weight coming in at just over 7 grams.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
09/14/2021 9:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hieron II, Syracuse.

A beauty, LC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The trident should've tipped me off. The legend is apparently actually "IEΡΩNOΣ". Cataloged as Calciati 197 so far as I can determine.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1286 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an awfully nice coin for a pick box. Congratulations!

All I can add is to be cautious when using numbers from specialized references like Calciati if you don't have the book in front of you. There may be minor variants that each have their own number. "Sear GCV 1223 variant" or "Sear GCV 1223 type" would be a safe general attribution, even Sear 1223 is probably enough. Sear is more of a broad type catalog with some implicit latitude. As an example of what I mean by variants, the coin plated by Sear has IEΡ-ΩNOΣ below the trident rather than IEΡΩ-NOΣ.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/15/2021 2:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I didn't realize it had a Sear number. Thanks for additionally referencing that.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2359 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent looking coin!....I really do like this type..
Here's the one I chose for my 12 Olympian set with the different legend break....Also there are a lot of different control marks, bottom left and right to take into consideration...

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05