Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 D Lincoln Memorial Cent. Opinions Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 230Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1138 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wasn't sure which pictures would help. Hope these are okay.
It's thin the weight 2.32g.
Lol. I have a lot more pictures if needed.

Learn More...
United States
20578 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are good—seems like your cent is corroded.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
6831 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's been in an acid bath. A soaking even in Pepsi or Coke will do this to a cent. Rob, what are you seeing?
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
5317 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, looks much like exposure to an acidic environment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to make these in my chemistry classes to teach the kids how nitric acid could be used to to dissolve metal. Its a decent looking reaction giving off volumes of brown gas and the acid turns green. It leaves a picture in their minds they don't soon forget.

I have made a number of these over the years from dimes, nickels, and quarters as well.

All considered damaged and worth only face value...if I took them out of the acid before they totally dissolved :)
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please enlighten me here. Would an acid bath not eat away at, and destroy the rim, as it would the design elements and devices? The rim of this Cent is still pristine (for its age and condition) and does not look to have been affected by any chemicals or acid whatsoever. I'm always wanting to learn. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40825 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage, a once buried coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1138 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had this coin for awhile and recorded it as acid or just corroded some how.
I was checking on Error-ref site for something else on a different coin.
Ran across acid damaged coins and weak, grease strike coins.
The rim on my coin was still there. Looks damaged from circulation but not eaten away by acid. Using a micrometer the diameter measurements are right on. The weight is 2.32g.
I got lost trying to figure out what they were saying about weak and or grease strikes.
I'm sorta leaning toward #6 from the list they gave. Which I'm including a picture of Error-ref. Just in case you don't want to take time to go to their site.
But if it turns out to be an acid or whatever coin. It is what is. It's been a learning process anyways.
The yellow arrow points to coin in question. Both coins are 1979D's.
Thanks everyone for your input and always for your help.

Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. Rather than compare acid exposure to weak strike, I think the better comparison is acid exposure to thin planchet. Since your cent is underweight, those appears to be the two strongest candidates for explanation.

What's curious is that two of the diagnostics for acid exposure are thinned rims and thinned diameter, both of which are missing.

However, most thin planchets show weakness of the design at the rim, and I'm seeing weak design overall rather than at just the rim.

Corrosive wear, even though it doesn't match all the criteria, seems like the better choice given the grainy texture of the surface, but I have no preference to one explanation over the other.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1138 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HGK3. Lol. I know what you mean. It could be. Might be. Maybe yes Maybe no.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 230Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05