Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 CC GSA Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
862 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recent pickup...has some planchet striations, super clean fields and cheek, neck has a couple ticks that aren't too distracting...reverse is ridiculously clean with some planchet striations as well.

Coin has a bit of haze, but average luster, probably a good candidate for conservation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4351 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting striations. Luster seems a bit impaired but may just be the toning. MS-63, perhaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
862 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These photos show the luster better

Pillar of the Community
United States
3331 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new pics are better, but with the roller marks, the impaired luster, and the splotchy toning or staining, I'd say MS-61.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this one. There is limited chatter, which is not usually found in a regular GSA Carson City. There is an additional mint processing mistake that makes it stand out from the crowd (for me).

I'll give it a MS-64. Clean fields and cheek with a couple larger contact marks. Reverse looks very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, doesn't look like a Lincoln cent

Haze is definitely affecting this one. As is, MS63. I agree with jacrispies, sans the striations which are planchet defects, not post mint, it's relatively mark free. Conserved without the haze, I'd say easy MS64, possibly higher without the striations. Not sure how a TPG would look at those, might ding it for eye appeal. Just thinking out loud.
Edited by Ty2020b
09/15/2021 09:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common date GSA Dollar. Photos are not the best. My guess is MS63.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60710 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63 but not particularly a fan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weak strike for an 83(CC) which should be sharp and bold. muted luster due to "haze" but appears to be broken in various areas including the cheek. the striations, although not affecting grade (as far as I know) are a detriment to eye appeal along with the haze and various marks & scuffs will hold this one to MS63
Pillar of the Community
United States
8340 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 for the same reasons as panzaldi posted.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thinking its a 64
Pillar of the Community
United States
4351 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A note when grading these is planchet striations will not impact the technical grade. Strike weakness, which is typical in coins with striations, can be a factor though. I'm thinking 64 after looking at the second set of photos, which do show more luster than the first.
Edited by fenton
09/16/2021 01:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2427 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64+
Pillar of the Community
United States
3331 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
planchet striations will not impact the technical grade

It won't affect the technical grade, but heavy roller marks across the face definitely can cause a coin to be net graded down a point or two.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like one of the stages of VAM-5, probably VAM-5A or VAM-5B. The second "8" still has the dash under it, and the die crack hasn't fully formed yet, but the clash is clear.

I'm not sure what to think about the coin's surface. I've gone back and forth on the grade a few times, and I still haven't settled on an opinion. For now, I'll pass on the grade. Interesting coin, for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05