Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Noticed That People Now Want Every Quarter With Eagle On The Back

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 628Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  5:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I missing something or these people are ill informed? These clad quarters have no extra value or am I the one that's ignorant?. I am sure there are sentimental reasons for some and some may want to fill out a collection of circulated quarters but other than that, what's the use?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1806 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you might be exaggerating the interest or you are coincidentally exposed to more collectors than I am.

There has never been much interest in the old clad quarters and now most of them are gone. Almost no BU rolls were ever set aside. We are approaching 60% attrition on the oldest clad quarters but if you'll look at the coins in circulation you'll see the majority are in abysmal shape. It's not just that they are all heavily worn but a third of them are culls with gouges and stains. Of those left most are covered in tiny little scratches and dings. As few as 5% of some dates are nice attractive VG or better with almost none above VF.

A lot of people will say it doesn't matter because there are plenty of mint sets but all of a sudden the last few months mint set prices are just soaring. This wouldn't be so bad except most of the mint sets are gone too and the quarters were all put into circulation.

All in all there are very very few nice attractive old clad quarters in any condition at all. Simply stated the coins were so poorly made and there were so many of them collectors have simply allowed them all to wear away in circulation. Prices of BU quarters haven't started going up yet but I wager they will before the end of this year. People might be surprised just how high the better dates can go. Even the most common dates are far scarcer than most people realize.

Perhaps people you see are just ahead of the curve a little.

I know very few people actively searching these coins except for sets.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very few people are interested in clad coinage. It doesn't have cache of silver and almost all of it are dead presidents. Of all the clad coins I only have the Westward series in BU the others just don't interest me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upon the shift to clad in 1965 the thought was the now-tokens were simply too much junk to save, and so few people saved them in BU condition. As a result, now there are relativly few high grade examples of the lower mintage dates.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with cladking. Try finding an MS business strike (non-SMS) 1965, 1966 or 1967 quarter, even among collectors or dealers.

In my area, it's not been so much a matter of price, but rather of availability of unc sets from the early clad years. I've been looking all summer and have nabbed only 6 sets from the early 1970s. However, I did get them at a good price. I took a pass on about a half dozen others and am now regretting it. Even at coin shows I've only seen one or two scattered sets. I saw one dealer asking close to $100 for a 1983-P souvenir set.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"I think you might be exaggerating the interest or you are coincidentally exposed to more collectors than I am."

Maybe I didn't say that right, I have been at the grocery market at least four different occasions where the person in front of me asked for the cashier to give them the quarters with the eagles on the back. I teach and a lot of cashiers are in school and I have asked them about this. Several have told me people ask them to check for the quarters with the eagles not for silver quarters
and I have witnessed at least 4 times myself. Look I live in a relatively small town and taught for 39 years so far and was curious about this . I don't have the heart to tell anyone they are only worth a quarter or so I thought.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I didn't say that right, I have been at the grocery market at least four different occasions where the person in front of me asked for the cashier to give them the quarters with the eagles on the back. I teach and a lot of cashiers are in school and I have asked them about this. Several have told me people ask them to check for the quarters with the eagles not for silver quarters
and I have witnessed at least 4 times myself. Look I live in a relatively small town and taught for 39 years so far and was curious about this . I don't have the heart to tell anyone they are only worth a quarter or so I thought.

I should have added these people aren't looking for BU quarters just quarters with the eagle on the back! Just curious
Pillar of the Community
United States
1806 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I love anecdotal evidence even when it's second or third hand. Right now the new quarters make up almost exactly 67% of the quarters in circulation. This should start increasingly very rapidly and hit 75% by the end of 2023 if many people are doing this. It will also be interesting to see what dates they are saving.

Current mintages will have to stay high to replace any older quarters being saved.

I'm guessing most people asking for old quarters are trying to assemble date and mint mark sets so most of the coins they are getting will be returned to circulation.

I do know of a few instances that people are just pulling out all the old coins and assembling roll sets. I think this will be a losing proposition but they seem to be having fun. There are some neat varieties in circulation they can look for with so many coins to search.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3308 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only reason I can see is someone completing a set, but strange so many people would be asking for that reason. Only reason I see fit to search anything pre-'99 would be for silver. Finding anything high grade, low mintage pre-99 in circulation, IMO, is futile.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eagle back quarter is to this generation what the wheat back cent was to the last.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I never wanted to collect 1965 to 1998 until well into the states quarter series when I was already collecting clad quarters anyways and decided to fill the gap.
I'd think there's others like me. maybe from State Quarters, or ATB Quarters, and then decided to work backwards and fill out an album since they are searching quarters anyways then buying those last few they need. I wouldn't have done it if these two series didn't happen though.

After 20 years of different reverses, seeing the eagle isn't that common anymore, BUT likely you will find at least one drummer per roll. LOL

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20478 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm amazed. I didn't know the Mints were still making Quarters.
just carl
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiscoLover82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Right now the new quarters make up almost exactly 67% of the quarters in circulation. This should start increasingly very rapidly and hit 75% by the end of 2023 if many people are doing this.

Can I have a link to these statistics? I think it could be a cool resource.

Personally I still come across the odd 1965-1970 quarter in circulation and I save them purely on account of their age - though I did find a 1962-D (silver) quarter within the past year from out of a Coinstar machine, so yay!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 628Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: