Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 5 Cents Varieties (3)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 722Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  07:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Although I am not a collector or even interested in looking for errors, I DO read all the posts in 3 of the CCF forums, "errors" being one of them. I was surprised when I opened the new Sept CN Journal and saw a lengthy article on the 3 varieties of the 2001 5 cents in "Canadian Spice". I was VERY surprised that not a single person on this site had mentioned a peep about it, so now I guess you roll-hunters will have to jump on the bus and catch up. A very good article that will take good eyes to see what is illustrated.
Edited by okiecoiner
09/16/2021 10:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
905 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okie, your title says 2001, the text says 2011. Which 1 is correct?
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of the 2 verities for 2001, P and no P, one for 2011. What is the third variety?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 varieties are Reverse varieties and deal with the font/size of the digits in the date, not the Obverse mintmarks/compositions. If you join the RCNA, you can go through the archives of all articles from the CNJ, plus huge amounts of other info.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have corrected the date in the original post. It is 2001, not 2011 as I had originally. It was a typo.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, I just looked at that website is the subscription fee monthly, yearly, or a one time payment? I could see that info.

Also, other then the varieties available online I don't know anything about private information varieties. I'm not a huge collector of dates and varieties for all denominations, at the moment I'm mainly focusing on errors and older varieties, though it won't hurt to know all the other info once I start making albums, thank you for the heads up on this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are annual dues for the RCNA and, with that, you can get the monthly magazine or the electronic mag, or both. The Dues aren't much and the monthly mag has some great articles and research. Once a member you can go through all decades of research and articles.
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know, Does anyone know the fee associated with becoming a member?
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinman91, if you click the RCNA link the and go to subscribe it shows the prices for the annual subscription and weather or not you get virtual or physical magazines has different prices. And for a yearly subscription that's not a bad fee at all. Digital Is cheapest and if you live in Canada it's in CAD$, more expensive for foreign.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/16/2021 12:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread has triggered a question that I wanted to ask for a long time :)
I know of 3 varieties of 2001 5 cent coin
2001 without P (which has its own font) and was issued in Business Strike and as Silver Proof
2001 P with round 0 (or small date) which is available in BS, PL, and SP.
2001 P with oval 0 (or large date) which is available in PL and SP.

Was 2001P oval 0 ever issued as a business strike?
Is 2001P oval 0 PL available from Oh Canada sets or it is only from Uncirculated/PL sets?
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins unlimited states the 2001 oh Canada set as a bu finish. As for your other questions I am interested in the answer as well!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm putting aside a bunch if 2001 to try and see the differences. I didn't even know there was more then one reverse variety.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt this is a variety, but the bottom left nickel looks like it has a matt finish but only on the reverse

out of these 4 I pulled from 2 rolls they seem to have the same font but I didn't have time to do a close inspection. Just noticed that the colour(shine) from the one coin was matt on the reverse. It's really hard to capture I think you can tell from this picture but maybe not.
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelodeon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is matte finish on the Obverse as well. A bit harder to find .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickeloden, so this is a variety mayb? I don't think iv seen any coins with a matt finish just on one side, there is only 1 year I can think of on coins and Canada that has a matt finish nickel but I can't remember the year. My nickel knowledge is not great, as for modern day coins I know even less.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 722Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: