Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Lafayette Dollar Press Release

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 187Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6568 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  08:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Several years ago, while attending the large coin show in Baltimore, I had the opportunity to examine an original of a letter/press release from the Lafayette Memorial Commission ( LMC). A buyer had already been found for the piece, but I had done business with the dealer a good number of times in the past and he knew of my "taste" for commemorative-related ephemera so he brought it out for me to have a look.

The piece was sold for over $1,000, so I'm not sure I would have purchased it even if I had the chance, but it was nice to hold it and give it a read. As much as I enjoy adding this type of material to my collection, there are times when the asking price simply exceeds my desire! (On multiple occasions, I've had additional opportunities to purchase the same item at a lower, (IMO) more reasonable price.)

The release is dated November 25, 1899, but elements of it appear to have been sent to newspapers across the country in early October, 1899 as items discussing select details of the coin began appearing in newspapers by mid-October.

The release uses the tried-and-true "Don't Be disappointed! Act now!" model for its call to order. It sets the stage with "The limited number issued will make these coins extremely rare and in very great demand. For each 1500 of our population there is a ratio of but one Lafayette Dollar." and then driving things home with "to be considered [orders] must be accompanied by payment in full and be in the hands of the Commission on or before DECEMBER 15, 1899, on which date the popular subscription closes."

Of course, we know that sales were not as strong as the LMC had hoped, and that 14,000 of the 50,000 struck were returned to the Mint to be melted. Still, I find the release to be an interesting, if not overly optimistic, piece of Lafayette Memorial Dollar history that I thought some might enjoy seeing.

Lafayette Memorial Dollar Press Release

(Image Credit: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division. http://www.loc.gov. Public Domain.)

For more about the Lafayette Dollar coin, check out:

- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Revisited
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Date Discussion
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Coins with Hats Thread
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Coins with Hands Thread
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Coins with Military Theme Thread
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Coins Depicting a Statue Thread
- 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar - Coins Depicting Flora Thread - Discussion of Varieties
- 1881 Yorktown Medal vs. 1900 Lafayette Dollar

For more posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61648 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating!

Hopefully laying your eyes on it satisfies you for now, it is at least impressive to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7278 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice commems. It is amazing to me how much of this type related material exists and, more significantly, how much knowledge you personally possess of the topic.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 187Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05