Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 P Nickel 2 Feathers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
630 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:28 am Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up this 1918 P nickel since I noticed it was a 2 feathers. Maybe paid a bit more then I should at $26.

Look at my estimate of condition it is maybe F10. Seems PCGS prices seem very high for these!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61486 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example. I have no idea what they're worth.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3073 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool example! I think you did great for that price, I'd be a buyer all day for that. Grade, I have it at F15/VF20, leaning towards VF. Later die state is causing mushy details, giving it the appearance of more wear than it really has.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, VF20 LDS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My copy of Ron Pope's book is loaned out right now. IIRC, there are two different varieties for 1918, one with the designer's initial (like yours) and one without. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion over the last 10-12 years whether these are different dies or different stages of the same die.

At $26, how could you go wrong? It's a fun coin, and tells quite a bit of the history of a complicated design, difficult striking qualities, pesky die clashes, and overly enthusiastic die polishing. It's everything the mints hated about the coin, and everything we love about it, all in one coin.

Enjoy that coin, and don't anguish a minute over the price. These don't come along very often.

I agree, F/VF example. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback. I normally only collect (ie. grade) Lincoln wheat cents, but got interested in the 2 feathers after watching an ANA elearning video with my daughter. Found this one.
Fortcollins, very interesting that there are 2 varieties of the die event. Wheels within wheels, LOL.
Pillar of the Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05