Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 Jacques Cartier Dollar Die Gouge On 4 In 1954

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Decided to start looking at my nickel dollar's with my new scope and found this little what I believe is a die gouge? Possible die clash? Don't know much about these and don't think this would be worth more then face, but I'd like another opinion thanks:)

Actually would this be a die gouge or something else, the inscription and date are inverted into the coin(not protruding out of it) where as the mark seems to be coming out of the coin but passing behind the number. This one's a little confusing. I have not dealt much with inverted devices before
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11944 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can eliminate Die Clash.
Is the "gouge" raised or incuse.

And the date is 1534.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JimmyD, I am not sure now. It's hard to tell, it looks the same as the 4 it self so I'm now thinking maybe the 4 took a hit. The 4 in the picture looks raised but it's incuse so I want to think the same thing about the mark, I'll try and change up the lighting to get a better shot.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11944 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to tell using a toothpick if the mark is raised or incuse.
If it is incuse, it is damage.
If it is raised, it is a die gouge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3913 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, the gouge looks raised. Since the regular 4 hasn't been touched, I'd say it's a scratch/gouge in the die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, the gouge looks raised to me as well in the photo but so does the 4. The 4 is incuse which makes me think the mark is incused as well(not Deep enough to effect the 4). I'm just out for a walk so I'll see if I can tell if it's raised or include when I get home.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know why my lighting makes the incuse letter and numbers look raised? Also here is a closer shot but if I'm right I think the area where the 4 is incused took a little hit. The lighting makes me confused and idk how a die gouge would look on an incuse number, I assume the gouge would then show on the number or letter but not the fields right?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry forgot the picture lol

After posting I think my eyes were playing tricks on me, definitely has to just be a scratch or ding right on the fields around the 4 and in the center of the 4.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/16/2021 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3913 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean that the date is recessed? I don't collect or even look at pocket change. The 4 and the gouge just looked raised to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
552 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toolmark.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05