Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2014 D LSC. Odd Jawline

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 301Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1202 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  5:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sure is an ugly coin but.
Check out the jawline. That part looks raised from the neck.
Neck features are present doesn't look much different from other coins.
Also the shirt collar isn't affected.
Just that part of jaw looks (raised?). Or the neck part (sunken?)

Whatcha think?

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one cool place for an awesome looking die crack. I think the 'play' on lighting is making it appear raised/lowered along with maybe some light distortion associated with the polishing lines above the die crack and no polishing lines below it that I can see. Cool coin.
Edited by Bumpkin
09/16/2021 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice die crack if so.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41993 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PMD to me. The beard looks "scraped down" towards the neck.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of looks like a strike thru that the bottom follows the collar line.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4267 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there was some grease in the die. Thus what you are seeing is the texture of the planchet. The grease prevented the strike on that area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41993 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mikeeeee ! We need you LOL.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1202 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. I've been thinking. Lol

Strike through and Greaser sounds great possibilities. But?

If it's a strike through wouldn't it (maybe) show some kind of ridge at the collar line? If it is a strike thru would there be a ridge?
If it's a Greaser wouldn't it (maybe) follow the beard line? Approximately at Green line? Sorry for the wiggly green and red lines. Fat finger and caffeine.

The arrows pointing at bottom of beard and Adam's apple. Just in case you didn't notice.

I hesitate to throw this wild guess out but. Could it be something like Greg's/CoinHi's 2020P Roosevelt. Bi-level (stepped) die crack?

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: