Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #32 - Coins By State

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have you ever wondered which state has been honored/involved with the most US classic-era commemorative coins? Or if Congress appeared to favor one or two states over others?

This post is about the first of these questions, I'll tackle the second in a subsequent post.

From an overall perspective, 25 states and two US territories (Hawaii, Philippines) are directly connected with one or more classic-era commemorative coins.

First, a few notes about how I assembled the lists I used to determine my "Top 3" states in each category:

1. Coins that presented a topic/theme that was not confined to a single state were assigned to the state where the sponsor of the coin was based. For example, the Oregon Trail Memorial half dollar involved multiple western states, but its sponsor organization - the Oregon Trail Memorial Association - was headquartered in New York City. So, the State of New York got the credit for the coin.

2. The Carver-Washington half dollar was jointly sponsored by the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial (Virginia) and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation (Missouri), so I split all numbers associated with the coin 50/50 between the two states.

3. Individual coins within multi-year and/or multi-mint sets were counted as year/mint varieties. For example, the 1936 Rhode Island half dollar has one design type but three varieties (P/D/S). The Arkansas Statehood Centennial half dollar has two types (Standard Issue, Robinson Issue) and 16 varieties (Standard Issue (15) - 1935 P/D/S, 1936 P/D/S, 1937 P/D/S, 1938 P/D/S, 1939 P/D/S + Robinson Issue).

With that, here are a few "Top 3 State" lists:

Top 3 States By Number of Design Types

1. California - 8 (1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition (4), 1923 Monroe Doctrine Centennial, 1925 California Statehood 75th Anniversary, 1925-36 California-Pacific International Exposition and 1936 San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Opening)

2. New York - 6 (1924 Huguenot-Walloon, 1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial, 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial, 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary, 1936 Long Island Tercentenary and 1936 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary)

3. (tie) Illinois - 5 (1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition - Columbus Half Dollar, 1893 World's Columbian Exposition - Isabella Quarter Dollar, 1900 Lafayette Memorial, 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial and 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial)

3. (tie) Ohio - 5 (1916-17 William McKinley Birthplace Memorial, 1922 US Grant Birth Centenary (2), 1936 Cleveland, OH Centennial - Great Lakes Exposition and 1936 Cincinnati Music Center)

Top 3 States By Total Coin Types and Varieties

1. Virginia - 26 (1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesqui-Centennial, 1936 Norfolk, VA Bicentennial/Tricentennial, 1946-51 Booker T. Washington Memorial (18), 1951-54 George Washington Carver-Booker T. Washington Memorial (6) - half of total - shared with Missouri)

2. New York - 19 (1924 Huguenot-Walloon, 1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial (14), 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial, 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary, 1936 Long Island Tercentenary and 1936 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary)

3. (tie) Arkansas - 16 (1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial (15) and 1936 Arkansas Statehood Centennial-Joseph T, Robinson)

3. (tie) Kentucky - 16 (1934-38 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial (16))

Top 3 States By Total Mintage Across All Issues

1. Illinois - 2.678 million (1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition - Columbus Half Dollar, 1893 World's Columbian Exposition - Isabella Quarter Dollar, 1900 Lafayette Memorial, 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial and 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial)

2. Virginia - 1.467 million (1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesqui-Centennial, 1936 Norfolk, VA Bicentennial/Tricentennial, 1946-Booker T. Washington Memorial (18), 1951-54 George Washington Carver-Booker T. Washington Memorial (6) - half of total - shared with Missouri)

3. Georgia - 1.315 million (1925 Stone Mountain Memorial)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are amazing stats commems - you do indeed own this topic within the CCF and likely within the world.

Any hope for a book?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Both: Thank you very much for the kind and supportive feedback!

Quote:
Any hope for a book?

One never knows, does one?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take an advance order for 5 copies ... signed by the author of course.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting statistical analysis - I never really though about the breakdown of the classic commemoratives in these ways!

While I was aware of the high mintage of the Stone Mountain commemorative, it's really something how the mintage of that single one-year issue coin compares to the multiple designs and years of issue of the two states ahead of it on your list.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... it's really something how the mintage of that single one-year issue coin compares to the multiple designs and years of issue of the two states ahead of it on your list.

I agree. An interesting picture also presents itself if you look at the "Top 3" Coin Mintages by Design Type, the Stone Mountain half dollar bubbles up to #2 on such a list:

1. 1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition - Columbus Half Dollar: 2.498 million (2 coins)

2. 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial: 1.315 million (1 coin)

3. 1951-54 Carver-Washington Memorial: 1.285 million (12 coins)

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05