Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

With MD Can Metal On The Devices Be Pushed Up?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just checking out a 1975 dollar and the BE in Elizabeth seem to maybe have MD but where it occured it looked like metal was pushed up making the device thicker where MD happened, is this normal for some MD? I apologize the lighting is not as great at the moment outside. But I'm sure it raises. Or is it possibly a die gouge?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11952 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD can't push the metal up.
Looks like it has taken a hit pushing the metal. PMD
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JimmyD if you want I can show you a photo where there is no light refraction, there is no hot tho the B and you can sort of see it on the E as well. That's why I'm thinking die gouge(probably just as unlikely though) I'll post a better picture if needed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4834 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask what your goals in collecting these minor variations that are mostly the bases of the die wearing through out it"s intended span, if you look hard enough you will find all kinds of small nicks and dings on all circulating coins. That is why a MS 66 in some years is worth thousands while a MS 65 of the same year is worth hundred or so, when shows start again, some dealers will have binders of these small variation and very little buyers and you will have one dealer thinking these are major stuff and worth 50 to 100 bucks each, go through the rolls if you don't see anything major there is really no demand for minor stuff
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I see something different I put it aside, I'm not going through rolls of 1$ coins, most banks won't give me them, I was just going through my 1$ coins with my scope. I'm not collecting them because they have any errors on them I'm collecting them to have them. I have many of the post 1968 1$ coins. As for posts in the past with cents and other things, that's just me learning I haven't collected any of the minor errors iv posted, I do put aside some of the major DDD and MD but not for a seller, for my own examples of Die Deterioration etc. Most people I know don't even know of the old 1$ coins and they all had a fairly low mintage, same with 50 pieces. There is not a premium marker for any non silver coins unless in very good shape, and even then with a high graded modern dollar or 50 piece there is not much of a market. I'm still getting used to seeing coins up so close, I see a lot of minor things that I couldn't see before. I don't believe this is from damage to the coin, that is why I posted it, I'm not sure what it is so I ask.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1041 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Machine Doubling can push metal up, when a coin is subject to Machine Doubling if the die shifts or vibrates and nudges the devices (details, words, etc.) on its way back up from the strike it can force the metal to be pushed and somewhat lift up, think of a giant wave curling when surfing, or using an ice cream scoop is also a good example, it will try to curl and make a mound of metal on top of the device that was subject to Machine Doubling.
Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnWayne007, thanks for answering my question. I have seen several forms of MD(different ways that it effects the devices) and it's not always the same.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05