Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 D Lincoln Memorial Cent DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 308Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Polly Planchet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have looked at several sites to find this variety/error. Have never found one but is this a pivotal doubled die at 5 o'clock as the opposite side "IN" slightly pulls away from the rim while the date pushed southeast toward the rim? Can someone please offer insights?
If doubled, should I send for attribution? Have it graded - it's a pretty nice red? Does the doubled die add to value?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41207 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. That looks like MD=machine doubling. Just a FYI: in your title it should read 2001-D LMC DDO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61474 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD to me as well.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53900 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No images of Liberty? Coppercoins lists a DDOs on that area?
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=eds
Check these with your coin? But there is no mention of a DDO on that area on that site of what you are looking at.

Wexler just has listed DDRs for this date.

Variety Vista Shows none.

But it is probably just Machine Doubling as already mentioned. But I want you to look at the listed examples. to know where to look for doubled dies, and what to see on a doubled die. Everything you learn, will give you a leg up on the searches you will be checking out in the future. The devices on the 2001-2003 are larger in size compared with other years. I do have a DDO listed for that year but not from that mint:
Side by sides:

This appears to be the single squeeze dies that started a few years back. But note how the devices are enlarged. This is what to look for on these DDOs.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Polly Planchet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all and a special shout out to Coop for the examples. I did check all of the sites - Wex, VVista, copper coins, etc and couldn't find anything. MD did enter my thinking but the "1" and the "D" pushed me to ask. As a newbie, I really appreciate the insights.
Here is a pic of "LIBERTY" on the same coin - 2001 D LMC

Pillar of the Community
United States
7078 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Machine Doubling. Look at past pages here on CCF for similar examples to acquaint yourself with MD (search box is in the upper left hand corner of every page).
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53900 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going back the side by side of the DDO on Liberty. Check out the 'B' and 'R' closed devices. On the inside of the 'B' not the centers.

Note the insides of the closed devices. On a DDO on Liberty/date the letters/digits can be enlarged or even distorted on the single squeeze dies, The if the devices are larger in size. the centers will often be smaller in size or show distortion in shape similar to an over inflated bike tube:

So the centers and the outside shapes of the devices can be distorted. A few examples below of this:

When compared with a normal coin, we can start to see the distortion of the devices. That is what to look for on the post 2000 cents on Liberty and Date areas. A lot more I could show, but trying to make an impression in memory as to what to look for on these cents on Liberty and Date areas on the single squeeze dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MD.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Polly Planchet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!!!
This is the best learning forum because of you - much appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53900 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As quickly as the students become proficient, then they become teachers also.

Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05