Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins And Medals With Trees

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 1,762Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
745 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again I am indebted for the education I am gleaning from the commems gallery topics.
This coin from Tunisia shattered my belief that corks come from wine bottles.
1960, 5 Milliemes c/w CORK tree

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Kauai "so called dollar" with palm trees, and Tunisia 1 and 2 milliemes coins to go with wannabfree's coin .

Edited by hokiefan_82
09/24/2021 1:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once again I am indebted for the education I am gleaning from the commems gallery topics.

Thank you!

Quote:
This coin from Tunisia shattered my belief that corks come from wine bottles.

They don't? My world is shattered!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoy all these "Post your..." topics! It's great seeing so many nice examples from all over the world.

One side benefit is every time I'm digging through my binders of 2x2's looking for things to fit a topic, I find coins that need to be attended to - today, it was 2 coins with tape/glue residue and another with what appeared to be red fingernail polish on it. A nice acetone bath nicely took care of those.

My wife walked by while I was digging through my binders and asked what I was doing - I told her "I'm looking for coins with trees on them!". She rolled her eyes, shook her head and walked away .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18270 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1994 Spain ,Canary Islands .
25 Pesetas

Obverse:
Dragon Tree, Dracaena draco
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1994 Spain ,Canary Islands . 25 Pesetas
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She rolled her eyes, shook her head and walked away

So, what you're saying is that your understanding wife recognized that you needed some "alone" time and gave you the space you needed to enjoy yourself.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That must be it!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3250 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This used to be called a Blackboy, but that is no longer PC, so not it is called a Xanthorrhea or more commonly, a Grass Tree. ( I still call them Blackboys).

These are very slow growing, with the fastest species growing about 2.5cm (1 inch) per year.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@triggersmob: Interesting looking tree! That slow growth rate is amazing - it's a surprise that any survive to maturity!

Edited by commems
09/25/2021 08:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here'e my choice for the second loneliest tree among the classic US commemorative coin designs - the 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial half dollar. The coin was struck to commemorate the sesquicentennial (i.e., 150th) anniversary of the founding of the capital of South Carolina at Columbia, South Carolina.

The reverse of the coin depicts a palmetto tree as its central design element. Wood from local palmetto trees was used in the construction of the fort built on Sullivan's Island to protect Charleston, SC. On June 28, 1776, a group of nine British Navy ships, under the command of Commodore Sir Peter Parker, attacked the still-under-construction fort. The attack lasted approximately nine hours, but the Palmetto logs withstood the barrage and the fort held - Charleston was saved!

After the successful battle, the fort was named after its commander, Colonel William Moultrie. The Palmetto tree, and its strength, soon became a popular symbol of South Carolina and has remained such through to the present. The tree's selection as a design element for the Columbia coin was inevitable, considering its place in the history of the city and its use within the State Seal.

And the reason the coin features the second loneliest tree and doesn't top the list...

At the base of the tree is seen a broken branch from an oak tree. This is meant to symbolize the fort outlasting the British ships which were constructed from the wood of oak trees - oak is often used as a symbol for strength based on its real-life characteristics. Also seen are two bundles of six spears (12 in total), tips raised, flanking the tree's trunk. On the actual State Seal, the two bundles of spears are tied together with a band that is inscribed (in Latin) with "QUIS SEPARABIT" - the English translation is "Who will separate us?" The 12 spears represent the 12 original states not named South Carolina.

On the coin's obverse, Lady Justice, is depicted holding a balance scale in her upraised left hand while holding a sword, pointed down, in her right hand. There are two official-looking buildings depicted in the background on the obverse of the Columbia, SC half dollar; the goddess Justice, blindfolded and holding a scale, is the central figure of the design. The building on the left (viewer's perspective) is often described as the SC State House (i.e., Capitol Building) of 1786, with the building on the right as the SC State House of 1936. While the description is accurate for 1936, it is not for 1786. (See the "Places Thread" link below for the full story.)

Abraham Wolfe Davidson is the artist responsible for the coin's designs.

1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can read more details about the Columbia, SC half dollar, its original holder and various related ephemera by checking out:

- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Ephemera
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Ephemera #2
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - "Cousin"

Explore more of the Columbia half dollar's design details via:

- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Mythology Thread
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Coins With Stars Thread
- 1935 Old Spanish Trail - Coin with Loneliest Tree

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Edited by commems
09/25/2021 11:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another lovely coin and fascinating write-up, commems!

1977 $2 coin from Barbados, showing a bearded fig tree on the country's coat-of-arms:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18270 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1977 $2 coin from Barbados,

Very nice coin!
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 1,762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05