Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing Shape 1945 5 From A Circulation Roll

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 681Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  3:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this guy today while roll searching what do you guys think on grade? There appears to be a little die chip on George's neck

Edit:how would I know if it's the normal or missing chrome variety?
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/17/2021 3:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
856 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Looks AU to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
841 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3609 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you know what the dots and dashes say around the reverse edge?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silverwolf, I have no idea, enlighten me if you can:p.

Edit: The rim seems to be in the worse shape out if everything on this coin, it almost looks like there is a bit of rust on the rim
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/17/2021 4:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wrekked, those 5 cent pieces, being chrome plated iron, usually have rust. A bit on the edges is pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4031 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The morse code reads "we win when we work willingly".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, that's really cool to know, thank you. I have a friend that is into old war stuff and I doubt he knows that lol. So I'll tell him about it Monday. For me it's a pretty awesome find. My first George nickel and in such good shape. Gotta be worth a couple bucks if I ever wanted to sell a coin lol. Worst case it's like finding a dollar in a nickel roll. I think with the grade it's in it might be worth a little more, there is a die crack or two which could lower the grade or value idk. Either way definitely a keeper for my son's albums.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is AU the grade I should label this?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@oriole, aren't these nickele made with nickel plated steel?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@oldfordman, I'd be happy with AU53. I'll put that on my label. It was a really surprising find, it was in a plastic customer roll so I could see the edging and was like MINE, I saw an old victory nickel in the till last time I went to popeys and I reached over to point I was like can I have that in my change, the girl at the counter was like iv never had someone directly point in the till to ask for a coin lol and she gave me it.

This is my nicest old nickel find and my first George nickel so even if it wasn't in such great shape I would have been happy:) the condition is a bonus for sure. Thanks guys. I read in another thread that the missing clad layer is no longer recognized as a variety die to the fact that the coating wears off easily so it's hard or impossible to tell if it's missing chrome of if it's just worn down, I think there is chrome missing in spots on this, the devices weirdly seem to have most of the chrome still yet the fields seem more worn down, I'd expect it to be the opposite with the fields still having the shiny chrome but it's just the devices and portraits that have most of the chrome left.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4031 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that it's AU, especially if it is missing chrome. It's a nice looking coin, though
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2059 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Okiecoiner what would you for grade? And it could just be toning I'll try and get a good picture showing the chrome missing or toning. I am not good at grading but other then a little bit of wear or toning there is not really any significant damage I think there is 2-3 die cracks.

Edit:I put at instead of @ lol
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/18/2021 10:24 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4031 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a little wear in the hair and eyebrow, but any actual grading includes the fields and luster. Wearwise maybe AU, but not for an overall grade. I, personally, don't think that you can grade coins from a computer image once it gets to AU.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 681Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: