Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Morgan Die Clashing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up this 92 today and seek some of your expert opinions. Let me explain what I saw while inspecting the coin. You can clobber me when I'm through. On the obverse there is a small nic on lower cheek that appears to continue toward the 1st an 2nd star, cw from the point of the neckline. The 3rd star has barely any relief. The hair looks great and the wheat straw still has the lines in it. On the reverse, the eagle's right wingtip appears as though it is worn like an AU50 but the breast and talons are not. There is a vertical die clash running from the wing past the n in IN. This appears to be the neckline from the other side. On the right side of the coin just to the left of the upper cluster of leaves on the wreath is a clash that appears to be the lower portion of the bonnet near the hairline. My guess is that the shallow relief star on the obverse and the right wing tip may be the result of reworking the dies...Comments please! nlp

Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now why would we want to "clobber" you.

I can't make out any doubling from your images, but it may be there. Currently there are only 9 VAMs identified for the 92-P so it shouldn't be that hard for you to attribute this. Start with the 3A which features both obverse and reverse clashes. The neckline nick and line is probably a clashed 'N' from the reverse die. The line above the eagle's right wing is the neckline clash and there are hairline clashes at the wreath. I don't have the Morgan clash template that shows an overlay of the reverse on the obverse and the obverse on the reverse. If someone posts that here you will clearly see what caused those clashes ... I love 'em!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2009  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over all this is a very nice coin, why would anyone clobber you?I feel that the coin shows some common wear in the common spots, maybe not a full strike I e the low relief on the 3rd star or #3 left star, possible greased die?i like the coin and think you do or you would not of purchased it, enjoy, Mike...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05