Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Lincoln Cent. Multiple Errors/Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  04:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone. While roll hunting tonight I came across a 1983 Philadelphia Lincoln cent with multiple errors. I am not the best with terminology yet. I have looked at many many pictures and remember what certain errors look like but being able to accurately say what they are Still gives me trouble. This coin was struck with a misaligned die but it may not be fully visible in the photos (I remember that error). I think it also has die cracks, lamination errors and possibly more. If you guys don't mind please look at the photos and reply with the correct terminology so I can hopefully learn more and begin to retain more. It's way easier for me to remember things if I see it in person for whatever reason. I thank you for all feedback and assistance. Very grateful for this forum and the hobby. God bless.

Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a lot of staining and damage. Slightly misaligned dies are common, though I don't see that here either.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything, some damage mayb a die chip, also this is a bit if a picture overload. One shot of each side if the coin would have shown mist of this.

Also
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12082 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like glue.
Try soaking it in acetone for 24 hours.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The areas that look outlined are sunken. I was told never to clean a coin. Will acetone damage?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7187 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use of acetone is not considered cleaning. I agree, looks like something is on the surface of this coin.

One "error" on a coin is rare, two on the same coin are extremely rare, "multiple" errors on one coin is is often used but in our experience, just does not exist. So when we see a title such as yours, there is usually an explanation other than true "errors." But hey, there is always a first time for it to happen!

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1913 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with staining and possibly some kind of adhesive (glue) - and a otherwise damaged coin...

nice photos - by the way...
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will soak in acetone. Once finished if it doesn't come off I will upload here again. Thanks guys.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took you guys advice and soaked this thing. Thought some may want to see the result.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, could be struck on a split planchette but I can't really tell, others might chime in, the memorial looks like damage to me. But it looks like a possible multiple large die cracks or split planchette but I don't know much about those kind of errors so hopefully someone can confirm damaged or error.

Edit:out of curiosity what does it weight? It could be a zinclon or copper cent, though I don't think this would effect what this is or is not.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/23/2021 07:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. A zinc planchet from the looks of it which rules out a split planchet. (Those only seem to show up on copper Lincolns.)

A lot was going on in 1983 at the mint (and Jarden Zinc, which produced the cent planchets).

The soak in acetone helps a lot to see that it isn't glue on the obverse surface. (I was thinking glue as well.)

Reverse-
-The oval above and below the memorial building seems to be consistent with a planchet flaw/anomaly.
-There is a similar semi-circle starting at the rim by the U (UNITED) through the lower portion of column #1 of the building and exiting through the rim to the west of the O (ONE).

Obverse-
Your new images after the soak show the obverse much better but I'm still on the fence about the cause. There have been some adhesives (epoxy comes to mind) that might give the same effect even after soaking.

I see some items that might be planchet-related or PMD. IMHO, online images may not do this one justice. This might be one that will benefit from an in hand look.

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/23/2021 09:12 am
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I took multiple images trying to show what I see. I can say from what I see it looks like the planchet was already damaged then it was struck. I will weigh when I get home. I also think zinc rot. However what I see the planchet was already split when struck. This zinc rot, especially on the obverse is coming through the bust because it was originally already on the planchet. If you look at the forehead you can see ( especially in hand) that this goes under the bust. There are open, wide cracks going through the head. Again I believe this planchet was damaged then struck. Just my opinion. I'm not a pro by any means but I have an eye for detail. Thank you guys for your input. Hopefully others can shed more information as well.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you guys look at my 1980 D Quarter post as well? Same situation. PMD is the verdict. I cleaned and soaked. It's interesting to say the least. I believe the planchet was also damaged then struck.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05