Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Search, Or Not To Search. Its A Really Hard Question!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 392Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  4:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone! So I recently came up on probably about 120-150 rolls of wheats and Jeffersons. The thing is 90% of the rolls are still original. And you can tell. Not like the stuff you see on ebay most of the time... But that is where my problem lies. I typically search through whatever coins I can for errors and varieties. But with most of these being original I'mnot sure if I should crack em open or not!?!? I feel like I'mmore likely to find some good errors or varieties, however I also know that I could probably make out really well if I just sold them.... Opinions?

What would yall do? Maybe just sit on them and wait a few years lol?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41339 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would look for errors, varieties and high grade coins.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3587 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The thing is 90% of the rolls are still original

When you say original; does that mean they are original from the day they were rolled?

How long have they been in your possession?

People make rolls everyday to look like old original rolls..

I would open a few, and actually see what is inside..
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im glad you agree! Its been torture not opening them. I just wasnt sure if the potential for finding something outweighed the amount of money I might make selling them as is. I dont collect to make money. But I will trade or sell certain coins in order to obtain other coins or something I want more. But I still didnt want to feel like I was throwing a bunch of potential money down the drain... apparently I only needed one other person to say "DO IT!" hahah.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did open one of them. And lol yeah, unfortunately I know all too well. Ive delt with those rolls and people before plenty. The coins were all 1961P in gem mint condition. My best friend inherited them and he gave them to me because he knows I collect. And he didnt know what to do with them or where to start. you can tell these rolls are obw, and what rolls he went through. I'mfairly certian that he got them from the bank himself and held on to them. I wish he would have given me some of his grandads other coins man, he had some really nice coins... and sooo many. These rolls was basically what was left over after he sold most of the other stuff and kept a few things for himself just as a momento of his grandad. There was a tackle box of these rolls left over and he gifted them to me.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean not all the coins, just the roll I opened was 1961P's.. Not sure about the other rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5649 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd follow John1's suggestion. Photos might show us something interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Open the rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you happen to have pictures of the rolls and some of the end coins? just curious as to what they look like. Hard for me to give advice without kind of seeing what you might potentially have.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these mint rolls, or "after market?"
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Learn More...
United States
105093 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Open the rolls.

Why let someone else have all the fun later when you can enjoy them now.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After going though a couple rolls and looking more closely at a few others some of them have for sure been gone through and looked at, and some of them I'mpretty sure have not. And then still some more of them the wrap is real loose, but it looks real original like they just came loose over the years. I dont think they came directly from the mint as a lot of the rolls have specific bank names on them, and my buddies granddad labeled a lot of the rolls with the year and mint. But shoot regardless if they are truly OBW or not they might as well be at this point bc he is probably the only one thats gone through them and and they were all dusty and stuff a lot of enders have some spotting on them and a couple that had tape on them the tape is all yellowed and he stamped the date on some of them too and you can just tell that stamp has been there forever. So I wouldnt feel comfortable selling them as obw, but to me they may as well be.... if that makes any sense.

But yeah I just started going through them so we'll see if I come across anything super great.

Is there a way that I can set notifications when people reply on my posts? Because, I never get any, and its kind of hard for me to find the posts that I want to be able to check back to see if there are any respones to questions or even if I'mtalking on another post. Id like to get like an email or text notifications if possible. Thank you guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Above the quick reply and above the topic there is a "Topic Subscription" button to do that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05