Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Valuable Or Considered Damaged?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 474Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  02:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a double strike on the reverse Washington quarter and would this be considered damaged?

Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Check OriginalAtog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add OriginalAtog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its hard to tell from the pictures. Can you post a closer picture of the area? And a picture of the obverse?
Learn More...
United States
20851 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bat, I'm seeing circulation dings but no doubling when I crop, enlarge, and enhance your pic. Maybe add a nice close-up so that we can see what you are with the coin in hand? Thx.

Also, can you please add the date of this quarter to the title? This helps us with searching. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11957 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was a Double Strike, the whole reverse would be affected, not just one area.
Just damage from circulation. PMD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61486 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far looks normal to me.

to the CCF!
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to ferry a better pic of the whole coin. It almost looks as if it was a restrike of an older coin but I'm not sure if that's such a thing
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add it to a new post with the date in title
Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the top of the eagle's wing, the last S in States, and the first A in America show doubling of some sort, need better pics to know, but it looks potentially interesting
Pillar of the Community
United States
3316 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53906 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a double strike, all devices on both sides of the coin would all show the same thing. It doesn't. So if these are incuse, they are coin contact.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a double strike affects both sides of the coin? I thought the other side is struck with a completely different die? So there's not a chance of one side being struck normal?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or do you mean left/right side of the coin? And not obverse/reverse?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So after doing a little more research about error coins, I've come to the conclusion that you are incorrect. What you are referring to is considered a doubled die, which is the doubling of the devices and effects the whole obverse or reverse. Which is an error in the production of a die; and multiple coins with the same error are created from that die (more valuable). A double strike is the striking of a coin and can result in only certain parts of a coin depending on how the coin shifts positions after the initial strike. Double strike can effect a single planchet or even another planchet added onto the original if it happens to find its way under the die before the original is fully ejected. A double strike error is one of a kind because the die is not affected in anyway given it doesn't have a die break.(less valuable). A coin can contain a doubled die and double strike at the same time. (Even more valuable but I assume extremely rare)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you may have missed the point of Coops last reply. (He's been doing this for like a billion years and has an understanding of Doubled Die vs. double struck.)

"Incuse" (recessed) was the operative word. Are the secondary elements you are seeing incuse or raised?

Incuse areas/elements on a coin usually indicate damage (but not always).
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53906 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double struck coins will show evidence of strike on both sides:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I apologize, as ive stated in ther beginning, I'm new to this. Just a bunch of coincidences that individual devices have the same indentions so close to them. But the obverse doesn't fir what I can notice. I have found another quarter tho that looks interesting I'll be posting in a few. Is it possible for a bicentennial to have a repunched mint mark? Looks like it could be a double struck but also looks like the original mint was repunched with a different mint
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05