Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Nickel MD Or DDR Or D/D(And MD)? New Hobby Collector Trying To Learn

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 237Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  04:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add samspadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please all you helpful expert chime in!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41187 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like MD and DDD. Here is a good link on types of doubling https://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles...Doubling.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samspadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John1. I appreciate your knowledge and input very much. I was thrown off, well because I am still green, but also because of how it looks so different on one side of the coin compared to the other. I don't why but I assumed DDD would be on both sides. But I am doing my best to learn. This is the front for a reference to what thru me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3527 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Quote:
I don't why but I assumed DDD would be on both sides.

Sometimes if a die broke or was found to be too deteriorated for further use but the other was still acceptable (ofc still deteriorated but to a lesser degree), they would swap out the bad one with a new die and leave the other to strike more coins. In that case the one die would be fresh and the other excessively used and showing DDD, which seems like what happened with your coin.
Edited by Tanman2001
09/20/2021 11:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53865 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On Nickels often the hub doubling is on the tops of the devices or on the bottoms of the devices on the outer circle of the devices:

Sometimes the devices are enlarged on the center areas, but they are often wider than normal:

So if you are looking on the outside edges of devices on nickels, you are probably looking in the wrong area. Focus on the centers of the devices, on the devices showing hub doubling horizontally. This happens more often on nickels. Horizontal doubling:

Looking at more different types of hub doubling in a row, will help educate your eyes on what to look for. Take you time on these. As then you will know what to look for and forget getting at the outside edges of devices. (that is where Machine Doubling is found. Don't go there)

CoopHome: Nickels. Where are their doubled dies on the older ones. Look at the centers of the devices horizontal and vertical
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/20/2021 12:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1161 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like DDD
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samspadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tanmann. Thank you Coop. I understand what you are saying and I learn some things today. I have very little experience with coins in general until recently even though I am over 40. 23 year veteran, 7 combat tours. Never stationed in America. Coins do not exist in a lot of the military bases. The Army thinks carrying around little pieces of metal in your pocket is never a good thing. So our "coins" if you purchases something is little round pieces of cardboard with pictures on them. I am literally a new born babe in the woods when it comes to coins. Thanks again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05