Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Collection Of Coins From Portugal

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 179 / Views: 4,615Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, not that one. I mean the 1924 1 Escudo. Has a brown color. Fourth row, third column from the left in the table.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, not that one. I mean the 1924 1 Escudo. Has a brown color. Fourth row, third column from the left in the table.

This one:

Its aluminum and bronze.
Learn More...
United States
108070 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I figured why not post one more time. This is the set I took pictures of.
Looking good!

Thank you for the show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My buddy Pete at the local coin shop calls when he gets new coins from Portugal and this Friday he called me. He had gotten 2 but 1 was the Prince Henry 20 escudos and I really don't need 2 (but I have little self control, so we never know), but he did have something that I don't have and has a pretty interesting history.

And you know me, history and cool coin and I'm in. Today's coin is one of the last issued by the monarchy and its also a commemorative.

The obverse of the coin features Manuel II. Dom Manuel II (15 November 1889 - 2 July 1932), "the Patriot" or "the Unfortunate", was the last King of Portugal, ascending the throne after the assassination of his father, King Carlos I, and his elder brother, Luís Filipe, the Prince Royal. Before ascending the throne he held the title of Duke of Beja. His reign ended with the fall of the monarchy during the 5 October 1910 revolution, and Manuel lived the rest of his life in exile in Twickenham, Middlesex, England.

The reverse celebrates Marques de Pombal, Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal and 1st Count of Oeiras (13 May 1699 - 8 May 1782), known as the Marquis of Pombal, was a Portuguese statesman and diplomat who effectively ruled the Portuguese Empire from 1750 to 1777 as chief minister to King Joseph I. A liberal reformer influenced by the Age of Enlightenment, Pombal led Portugal's recovery from the 1755 Lisbon earthquake and modernized the kingdom's administrative, economic, and ecclesiastical institutions. During his lengthy ministerial career, Pombal accumulated and exercised autocratic power.

Despite entrenched opposition from the hereditary Portuguese nobility, Pombal gained Joseph's confidence and, by 1755, was the king's de facto chief minister. Pombal secured his preeminence through his decisive management of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history; he maintained public order, organized relief efforts, and supervised the capital's reconstruction in the Pombaline architectural style.

The coin:

Issuer: Portugal
King: Manuel II (1908-1910)
Type: Circulating commemorative coin
Year: 1910
Value: 500 Réis (500)
Currency: Real (decimalized, 1835-1910)
Composition: Silver (.835)
Weight: 12.50 g
Diameter: 30 mm
Shape: Round
Technique: Milled
Orientation: Coin alignment
Demonetized: Yes
References: KM# 557, Gomes# E2 05
Mintage: 400,000
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3437 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice coin hfjacinto. Loving the design.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely design, and seemingly a very young king. Reminds me a bit of "our" young Wilhelmina who is featured on Dutch coins at the end of the 19th Century.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coin is another commemorative, this one of the founding of the first republic. The country had high hopes for its currency, hence the Escudo was a large crown sized coin. These were minted in 1914 but dated to 1910. I had 2 I found for sale, the one I really wanted the seller wouldn't budge on price, this one I got it for a significant discount, and I got it way below the price guide, although if I find an MS version at a good price this one may only be a place holder. The biggest issue is that many of these coins were weakly struck and majority of them have been cleaned. It still is a very nice coin and artistic. The background features the flag of Portugal and the date of the founding of the first republic.

Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Year: 1914
Value: 1 Escudo (1 PTE)
Currency: Escudo (1911-2001)
Weight: 25 g
Diameter: 37 mm
Orientation: Medal alignment #8593;#8593;
References: KM# 560
Mintage: 1,000,000
Learn More...
United States
108070 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I posted previously, I get called by the owners of our local coin shops when they get coins from Portugal (which means I probably pay more than if they didn't call me ) but this means I get the coins when they buy them. Last Friday Mike from Green Brook Coins called me as he had a few coins from Portugal in old 2 by 2's. They must have been stored for several decades. He offered me all but I had every one already except for this one. I ended up picking it up and assumed it was the silver version of the coin, sadly when I got home and weighed it, its the clad version. But its in great condition.

The coin is a 25 escudos and commemorates the Battle of Aljubarrota which was fought between the Kingdom of Portugal and the Crown of Castile on 14 August 1385. Forces commanded by King John I of Portugal and his general Nuno Álvares Pereira, with the support of English allies, opposed the army of King John I of Castile with its Aragonese, Italian and French allies at São Jorge, between the towns of Leiria and Alcobaça, in central Portugal. The result was a decisive victory for the Portuguese, ruling out Castilian ambitions to the Portuguese throne, ending the 1383-85 Crisis and assuring John as King of Portugal.

Portuguese independence was confirmed and a new dynasty, the House of Aviz, was established.

The coins actually doesn't talk about the battle but assembly of the Cortes or "Estates of the Realm" - The clergy, nobility and Bourgeoise. In 1835 they met in Coimbra and confirmed John 1 as the "true" king of Portugal.

The coin.

Period: Third Republic (1974-date)
Year: 1985
Value: 25 Escudos (25 PTE)
Composition: Copper-nickel
Weight: 11.0 g
Diameter: 28.5 mm
Thickness: 2.5 mm
Orientation: Coin alignment #8593;#8595;
References: KM# 627
Mintage: 500,000
Learn More...
United States
108070 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto,

are you still looking for coins for your set? If so, I recently found a local coin shop that has a large inventory of world coins, including Dutch and Portuguese coin. I think they charge fair prices and make accurate photos of the coins they sell. Let me know and I can pm you a link.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numis

Please PM me a link! Like usual U R DI MAN!

And to continue with this set, a really nice coin coming tomorrow
Pillar of the Community
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today you get a coin for lover of toning.

And for lovers of bright white.

The coin has luster on both sides, and the toning depending on angle has hints of purple and blue.

Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Type: Standard circulation coin
Years: 1913-1916
Value: 20 Centavos (0.2 PTE)
Weight: 5 g
Diameter: 24 mm
Orientation: Medal alignment
References: KM# 562
Mintage (1916): 706,000
Learn More...
United States
108070 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today you get a coin for lover of toning.
Outstanding!
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 179 / Views: 4,615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: