Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Collection Of Coins From Portugal

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 3,781Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seeing the collection by hfjacinto makes me consider expanding my own Gulden type set into a complete collection of coins from the Netherlands.

Is that a good thing? Mr. Numis that works in Education

Sadly I have about 10 more coins left
Edited by hfjacinto
10/20/2021 6:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reviewing this thread, it seems that Portugal minted many commemorative coins for circulation.
I wonder, are there also Portuguese commemorative coins that commemorate a "n-centennial" of towns and cities?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few but the vast majority are for discoveries and historical periods in Portuguese history. Starting at 200 Escudos majority of coins are commemorative in nature. Check some of these out

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/portugal-20.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you store your collection?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do you store your collection?

I use the Whitman blue plastic coin holders.

I have these in flips and I put in a printed card with basic information.

The coins I didn't take a picture of, are stored in an album.

Edited by hfjacinto
10/21/2021 2:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today we have the last of the escudos (well technically the last "type" of the escudo, there was a coin released in 2001 and a gold commemorative titled "The Last Escudo")

The escudo lasted from 1910 (minted in 1914) till 2001. For the majority of its life (during the 2nd republic) 1924-1970 it had a fairly stable value do to the conservative economic policy of Salazar, which resulted in the value of the Escudo being around 20-30 escudos to 1 USD. But this is also resulted in slow economic growth. I'm not an economist but there seems to be some correlation between sound and robust cash printing and a corresponding continued economic growth. Which tends to result in inflation or the devaluation of money. As long as inflation is controlled the more money in circulation the economic growth continues.

But nevertheless, today you get the last type of escudo ever minted. In the 2000's the escudo was trading at 200 to the Euro so technically worth 1/2 Euro cent. A long way to travel from a Dollar sized silver coin in 1915.

Issuer: Portugal
Period: Third Republic (1974-date)
Type: Standard circulation coin
Years: 1986-2001
Value: 1 Escudo (1 PTE)
Currency: Escudo (1911-2001)
Composition: Nickel brass
Weight: 1.69 g
Diameter: 16 mm
Thickness: 1.2 mm
Shape: Round
Orientation: Coin alignment
Demonetized: 02-28-2002
References: KM# 631, Schön# 91
Mintage (2000): 21,000,000

The 2021 mintage is the key with only 250,000 minted but majority were saved so they are readily available.

The engraver was Hélder Batista, for people that know me they will get the reference
Edited by hfjacinto
10/21/2021 07:58 am
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly I have about 10 more coins left

Quote:
Today we have the last of the escudos...
Very nice!

Quote:
In the 2000's the escudo was trading at 200 to the Euro so technically worth 1/2 Euro cent. A long way to travel from a Dollar sized silver coin in 1915.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are a few but the vast majority are for discoveries and historical periods in Portuguese history. Starting at 200 Escudos majority of coins are commemorative in nature. Check some of these out:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/portugal-20.html

I see there are 288 Portuguese circulating commemorative coins according to Numista. That is 18 times more than similar Dutch coins (16)! Wow.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9619 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see there are 288 Portuguese circulating commemorative coins according to Numista.

I think these coins may well have been available from banks at face value at the time of issue, but I don't think they necessarily circulated to any great extent. On all my visits to Portugal the only commemorative coins I ever got in change were a 1977 Alexandre Herculano 5 and 25 escudos and a 1986 EEC Accession 25 escudos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seeing the collection by hfjacinto makes me consider expanding my own Gulden type set into a complete collection of coins from the Netherlands.

Well, after doing the math it would cost me tens of thousands of dollars to do such a type set. I guess I will forget about it.
It was actually shocking to see how expensive Dutch coins are, especially the 19th century ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next few are commemorative coins. Most of these I picked up from circulation.

Today's coin is a 100$00 Escudo that commemorates the 550th anniversary of the finding of the Acores. The design includes the Caravel. Below the boat the dates of the discoveries of the first (Santa Maria 1427) and last Corvo and Flores 1452) islands. 1439 is for the first official map of the archipelago, and the Authorization by Infante Enrique for the colonization (2 July 1439).

Type: Circulating commemorative coin
Year: 1989
Value: 100 Escudos (100 PTE)
Composition: Copper-nickel
Weight: 16.5 g
Diameter: 34 mm
Thickness: 2.8 mm
Demonetized: Yes
References: KM# 648
Mintage: 2,000,000

This coin is part of the Discovery series which celebrated the explorers and the discoveries. This set was produced for circulation and another set of coins in Silver or Gold were produced for collectors.
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today's coin is a 100$00 Escudo that commemorates the 550th anniversary of the finding of the Acores.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coins commemorates Portugal joining the European Community (now European Union). Portugal and Spain joined in 1986 as before they weren't allowed to join as they weren't democracies. But they participate in the European Economy Community, a free trade group which didn't have the same restrictions.

Year: 1986
Value: 25 Escudos (25 PTE)
Weight 11 g
Diameter: 28.5 mm
Thickness: 2.25 mm
Technique: Milled
References: KM# 635
Mintage: 4,990,000
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3343 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the design on that coin and that is one I do have. :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
4383 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coin commemorates the International Year of the Child. The front says "Give me your love". Poland released a Zloty also commemorating the year.

Now for full disclosure, this is a really freaky looking coin to me and the proof version accentuates the freakiness factor. I won't go into details, but its kind of scary looking. Only reason I picked it up is that this is the Proof and they only minted 10,000 of these. So I'll leave it as I got it for the low mintage but its just a coin I don't particularly find appealing.

The next few coins are much better, although this coin is pretty much the low point of coins from Portugal.

Year: 1979
Value: 25 Escudos (25 PTE)
Weight: 11 g
Diameter: 28.5 mm
Thickness: 2.25 mm
Technique: Milled
References: KM# 609
Mintage (Proof): 10,000
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 3,781Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: